Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop appears dead...almost

• Please log in to reply

zwthompson

zwthompson

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I have a 3 or 4 year old ProStar laptop. My wife turned it off sunday night using the Windows shut down. Monday she goes to run it on, and nothing.

The CD dirve spins up, I think the floppy starts, don't know about the HD. The processor is creating heat, and the fans will come on.

Nothing is ever displayed on the screen, and I don't even get the customary BIOS beeps. It will just sit like that indefinitely. The BIOS never loads, and I can't tell if the HD is working or not.

My only thoughts are bad processor, or maybe a dead CMOS battery?

Anybody have a good guess.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if nothing comes up on the monitor...it's probably a video card problem....does the machine have a port on the back to connect it to an external monitor? if so try connecting a monitor to it and see if you can get something to display

zwthompson

zwthompson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It does have an ouput for an external monitor. I will try that tonight.

I did try to plug it into my tv through an s-video cable (which I have done sucessfully before) and got nothing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the svideo connection is relliant on the driver's within the opperating system...so if the system is trully not booting (or if the driver for the card has failed within windows) then that svideo cable isn't gooing to work...since the external monitor port rellies on the drivers loaded through bios....there is a higher chance of it working if the o/s wont boot...if it won't display anything through that port....then it's probably either a video card problem or a motherboard problem

zwthompson

zwthompson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry it took so long to get back. I was gone for Thanksgiving.

I tried to plug in a standard monitor, and got nothing.

I tried to find a a jumper to reset the BIOS (grasping at straws I know), and can not find one. Nothing in the manual either.

I guess either my video or my mobo went south? Time for a new laptop?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Does it have the Fn hot keys that some laptops have that can be used to turn the monitor off i have numerous times been stumped by my dads old laptop and all i needed to do was hit function F10 to turn the monitor on.

zwthompson

zwthompson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It does, but I have already tried that to no avail.

I don't even get the beeps when the BIOS loads (or is supposed to).

Drives all seem to spin up (I'm not 100% sure about the HD), the processor heats up and the fans come on, but no beeps and no display.