Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wannabe1 hope you get this

• Please log in to reply

spotmaster

spotmaster

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Good morning

Last week I spoke to you about my son's comp not booting, we decided that it was more than likely the H/D, so I bought one and installed and still no boot, couple of things, my CD burner will open with power on but my CD player won't. also I am using an LCD monitor and not the one that he has, when I push the power button on the monitor it says "no signal detected" I know that the video card works. What are the chances that the M/B has packed it in. I have green lights on it that give me the empression that it is working.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy spotmaster...

Couple of quick questions.
  • Have you tried "preparing" the new HDD using the manufacturer's software?
  • How are you trying to boot...with the XP cd?
  • Have you tried the other monitor for the video issue?
wannabe1

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just to test the MOBO.....what happens when you boot with no RAM in the machine? do you get a long beep? or a series of beeps?

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I wish :tazz: therin lies the problem, when I try to boot I don't get anywhere, the lights flash on the drives, the lights on the H/D come on but I can't even get to a screen to allow me to do anything, I put in the Maxtor disc and the drive reads it but it won't give me a screen to do anything with. I guess I will have to go and lug his monitor upstairs and try it, although when it was hooked up to that one origonally it was not getting a signal from the comp and that's what started all this fun. I tried his Vid card in my machine and it works so I know that is good.

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I pulled the ram and am not getting any sound, but I was not getting any Post beeps before.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Before doing all that, let's try flashing the BIOS...To do this, you need to remove the CMOS battery. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually located in the lower right quarter of the Motherboard. Near the battery (either below or to the right on most) you should see 3 small pins with a jumper block on them. It should look like this, where the underscore represents the jumper . . . Move the jumper to the other pins . . . for about 30 seconds and then move it back to it's original position. Put the battery back in, making sure to put it in + side up. Try to boot your machine.

Note that this will clear the date, time, and restore all default settings to the BIOS. You will have to reset any settings you have changed such as Boot Priority. If you are not using a static strap, keep one hand or your arm touching the metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the Motherboard and it's components.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No beeps at all?

That would point to Mobo or processor...is the system speaker connected?

wannabe1

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes the speakers are on, and do I do the battery thing with the power off or ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You need to do this with the power off and the machine unplugged.

I'm starting to lean in a different direction now, though... :tazz: I didn't realize you were getting no POST code (beeps).

Go ahead and reset the CMOS as described and let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well now, this is not going well, I can't seem to dislodge the battery and just to add to it all, I can"t see any jumper, this is a Gigabyte M/B I may have to try to find the manual for the board and see if they have any tips on how to remove the battery, I don't want to pull any harder on the battery and do any damage if you know what I mean.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there is often times a little metal clip next to the battery that if you push away from the battery will release it....

you say you don't see the jumper's at all? or do you see the pins and there is no jumper jumpering them?

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
can I say "duh" all I had to do was squeeze two metal clips and the battery popped out, I just have to slow down and look, with that said I do see two sets of pins marked J12 wake on lan and J13 modem ring on, neither of them have jumpers other than that there are no more jumpers.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you tell us the make and model of the motherboard? i'll try to find you a manual

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, I built this about 5 Years ago, it is a Gigabyte GA-7ZX I have not had any problems with it but it is getting on in years kinda like me :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no wonder you and wannabe1 get along so well...you're both in the same old folks home heheheheheh just kidding....let me see what i can find about that board