Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Activation key doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I had some problems with my computer so I reinstalled windows (XP Home) now I need to activate but the key I put in doesn't work. The thing is i've reinstalled before and used this key and it worked. What's going on?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Use the Phone for Activation method.. You may need to explain what you did and why but they should give you an activation code as long as your key code is legit!!

Murray

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mozzer11...

A number of things can cause this issue. The most common one is if the machines hardware has changed significantly or the key has been used more than 5 times (Ithink it's 5), you may have to call Microsoft, tell them what's changed, and they will issue a new registration number for that key.

wannabe1

(LOL...Murray S has the quickest replies in the world, I think....)

Edited by wannabe1, 22 November 2005 - 02:04 PM.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Ah, I didn't know there was a limit to how many times you could use the key. Thanks.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Ah, I didn't know there was a limit to how many times you could use the key. Thanks.

Depends which type of key you have - OEM or retail.

OEM you can usually only use once and after that all subsequent activations have to be done by phone, though you can hit lucky and have it go straight though.

Retail versions, if the key hasn't been activated in 120 days it'll go straight through.