Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2003 beginner question.

• Please log in to reply

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello all,

When I click to get a list of task panes I see Getting Started at the top and XML structure at the bottom for a
total of 14 task panes--but Featured Links is not one of them and I cannot get this to display.

In MS Word 2003 Inside Out (an aswome book and worth the $ IMHO) on page 28 it notes that one can
go to the help task pane in he Getting Started pane, click Online Content Settings, click on See Also, and
clear or select the "Show MS office Online featured links" check box. Okay, done! I have all boxes there
checkmarked. However, the dang Featured Links task pane does not display on the list. Yes, I closed and re-opened Word after making sure all those boxes were checked.

Here is what I see:

Getting Started
Help
Search Results
Clip Art
Research
Clipboard
New Document
Shared Workspace
Document updates
Protect document
Styles and Formatting
Reveal formatting
Mail Merge
XML structure

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Arf.

PS- I'm studying the software for Word 2003 certification and finding it a pain to spend extra time at the office to study. I can't afford
to buy Office atm. Anyone know if MS offers for-study-only versions? (no save or print etc....)

Edited by Arfinwulf, 22 November 2005 - 02:19 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On the Help menu, click Microsoft <Program Name> Help to display the <Program Name> Help task pane (task pane: A window within an Office application that provides commonly used commands. Its location and small size allow you to use these commands while still working on your files.).
Under See also in the task pane, click Online Content Settings.
In the Service Options dialog box, select or clear the Show Microsoft Office Online featured links check box.
The Show content and links from Microsoft Office Online check box must be selected before you can select the Show Microsoft Office Online featured links check box.

Notes

This setting applies to all of your Office programs.
The display of Microsoft Office Online featured links will not change in any Office program that is open until you close the program and then start it again.