Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cannot open progrm automatically

• Please log in to reply

needofhelp

needofhelp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) hello i need help with my computer. whenever i click on a program a pop up comes up titled Open With and it says choose the program you want to open this file with. When that comes up i have to browse through all my files to find the program. when i find the program i click run and then another pop up comes up saying it cant find the folder it was in. The type of programs that dont work are sbc yahoo dsl, control panel, or any other program that is a program. when i clik the help and support program it says that the application could not be found. :tazz:
if you know how to fix this problem answer me or email removed by mod: Murray.. Please be careful as spammers watch forums for email addresses!!please help me :)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
oddly enough, the same fix I just posted for another problem may work here

start > run, type
regedit
<enter>

navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell key, then look in the right pane...

The only entry should be DeFAULT, with a type of REG-SZ and a DATA of NONE.....

if there is more than that one, delete it....if the only one there has a different DATA value, double click it and replace what is there with NONE ...

---------------------------------------------------------

If that does NOT work, please PM me (this is not something I normally ask people to do, but I am going to be on sporadically for the next couple of days)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please post here, and only PM me if I do not get back to you....

When you say you click on a program and it doesnot open, what do you mean by click on a program? Is this a program link on your desktop?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If that is the case, go here
http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm
download the file
LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix

extract it with a zip program, and then double click it to merge it into the registry