Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shutting down

• Please log in to reply

toad_butt

toad_butt

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi. I signed up awhile back and followed your steps before posting and fixed my problem then with a trojan. Thank you!

Now, my computer shuts itself off. I had installed Yahoo!IM again and have decided that was the problem. Last time I removed it, the problem completely went away. What a doofus I was to reinstall it!!! :tazz: My computer seems to hate all IMs so I just won't use any, though I'd like to be able to chat with my daughters.

Anyway, it was fine for a few days after getting it off here. Today, it started again. It's restarted itself twice in about a 5 hour period. Thankfully, I have a habit of saving my work often. I just don't know what's causing it or how to find out. Please help.

Compaq Presario 6000
XP Home
NVIDIA GeForce FX5200
768MB RAM
1.67GHz
AMD Athlon

What else might you need to know?

Thanks so much! :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

also can you boot into bios and check your system temps and voltages?

during the boot process either press f2 or del (depends on your system) to enter the setup utility....look for a section called "pc health" or something like that...

toad_butt

toad_butt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you for such a quick response!

Service Control Manager Category=None Event=7000 User=N/A Computer=Home

Below that is a Dhcp warning (I know, not a redX but thought you may need to know)

SideBySide Category=None Event=59 User=N/A Computer=Home
And there's another one exactly the same listing the same time also.

I'm sorry I don't understand the rest of what you're telling me to do, but I'll write it down and give it a try. Thanks again.

toad_butt

toad_butt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, that was easy enough. Except it took forever to get back here. lol It froze up on me just as I was getting here the first time. It almost never does that, so I'm trying to be calm. :tazz:

I didn't find anything about temp and voltage. There was Main, Advanced, Power, Boot and Exit. Power only said After AC Power Failure [Stay Off]

Advanced has Primary Master [WDC WD400BB-00CA] and BIOS Core Version V6.0 Other than that, everything looked familiar. Did I do it right?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi toad_butt...

Download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.27 link in the second paragraph), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures.

Post the high temperatures you see here...

wannabe1

toad_butt

toad_butt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks wannabe1. Fan 3 is red at 61C. It shows 0 RPM.

A box popped up to click Configure/Advanced. It tells me "Please note that setting these options might cause your system to become unstable. You should know what you are doing." Since I don't know what I'm doing, I did nothing to it.

Does this mean I have a fan out and it's overheating, causing it to shut down? How do you vaccuum without causing static? I do the outside and blow out the inside when we open it up. Or do I need to replace it?

Thanks so much!!! :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
toad_butt...

Whoa! That's awful hot. Open the case and check to see if the CPU fan is running and that the cooler fins aren't full of dust and fluff. That kind of heat will definitely cause your system to shut down.

If your fan is not spinning or is spinning slowly, replace it...it's a cheap fix when compared to the cost of replacing the processor... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 22 November 2005 - 08:18 PM.

toad_butt

toad_butt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok. Unfortunately, this is going to have to wait until Monday to replace it. With the speed at zero, surely that's what it is. I'll get it opened up and see. I've never done that without shutting it down. Is it alright to leave it running?

On the vaccuum static comment, I was thinking of magnetism, so the static doesn't matter, does it?

Next question, how much can I run it in the meantime? I need it tonight and some tomorrow. Other than that, I can shut it down.

Definitely a cheap fix compared to frying it. I really appreciate your help! What a great tool. Now I'm curious about the rest of the links in your siggy. lol :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You should shut the machine down when you open it up, but you can start it back up afterwards. I would recommend a can of compressed air rather than a vacuum for the cleaning...less chance of static discharge damage and it will do a better job.

Some motherboards don't have sensors for the CPU fan, so it's best to have a look at it to verify that it's running.

I would use the machine as little as possible or not at all until you get that temperature under 50 degrees. You could leave the case open and set a house fan up to blow into the case...that will help some, but don't bet on it dropping the temp more than a few degrees.

As for stuff in my sig...check out the Everest if you want to get a little info on your system... :tazz: Avast is a free Anit Viral and Sygate is a free firewall.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 22 November 2005 - 08:35 PM.

toad_butt

toad_butt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok then. I'll shut it down and can hopefully get a fan tomorrow lest I be going through withdrawals! lol It'll actually be good for me.

So I wasn't totally off about the static? Woohoo! I'm gettin' there slowly but surely. lol

I'll post back here when it's fixed and the temp is good - still might be Monday. Thank you! and Happy Thanksgiving should it apply. :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Happy Thanksgiving should it apply. smile.gif

It does...Happy Thanksginving to you, too!

wannabe1

toad_butt

toad_butt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi. Well, much has happened. We were going out of town, which is why I couldn't do anything about the fan until Monday. We found out Wednesday that hubby has a ruptured disc (or is that with a k?), so here we are.

All fans were running so I took it in for diagnostics and got a new fan (the one that sits on the processor). We put it in and it's running well. SpeedFan still reads high unless I leave the side off, so it's running open right now.

I have some popped capacitors (I've been calling them capacitators - like that non-word better lol), which weren't there not long ago, so I'm wondering if that could be what's making the reading off. It doesn't seem like it would since it's an independent program checking the temperature.

Anyway, it appears I've paid $38 for a new fan and to be told that I'll need a new motherboard and processor very soon. Then I was told it would almost be better to get a new system since I'll need a new case, new memory, and pretty much new everything. I could keep my drive as secondary, and keep my video card is all. Passing on the keyboard, mouse and speakers would save me about $12-$15, so I may as well take them. Well, I don't need them. The video card is the best news they told me cause I can't imagine using only one screen now. :tazz:

I like my case and have been so happy with my computer, we've decided to just shop for a new compatible motherboard and processor and keep it. Got a great keyboard and mouse and excellent speakers. I even like my memory. Virtual is much better than reality. lol

I sincerely thank you for your help! I'd like to know how much I should spread the word about geekstogo.com? I found you through search, I believe and am headed back to my regular forum soon. Since it's all volunteer help here, I'm not sure how much to tell everyone. Where I hang out regularly is volunteer also. :)

I know on a site such as this, I'll not be of any help. Maybe I can share a smile from time to time. Thanks again so very much! Shirley

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi toad_butt...

My daughter loves your nick...she's really into all things froggy, you ought to see her room! :)

You've had a busy few days... :tazz: You should be able to get a MoBo for your machine without having to buy all the other stuff (and putting your computer guy's kids through college). If you know which motherboard you have, I may be able to point you in the right direction for a compatable board. If you don't know it, download Everest from my signature and run it on your machine...that will tell you everything you'll ever want to know about you system.

You can talk about Geeks to Go all you want wherever you want...we're all here because we like to help (and I like the challenges I get to face once in a while).

Take care, Shirley!

wannabe1

toad_butt

toad_butt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi wannabe1. Our oldest daughter has a continously growing froggy collection, even though she's said she's not collecting them any more. :-D Once that sort of thing starts... well, they're all over her house now!

Can I freeze-dry-ship you some turkey? It was thawed and had to be cooked - literally almost a 20 pounder, and it wound up being just for the two of us. Turned into a 13"x9"x2" casserole of deboned heaping pile o' meat. Who knows yet how many bags for the freezer - that's yet for tomorrow.

Hubby's been telling me to install Belark Advisor and I never did. Just now installed Everest, so what can I tell you from it? It's got a ton of info and I'm not sure what you need. He found a compatible MoBo, Processor and fan for just under $120. We're certainly open to suggestions.

Oh, and the computer guy I took it to IS a kid. lol

I sure hope to be able to help just one person someday how you're helping me! Thank You! I've been telling so many people in my physical life how this site helped me get rid of my trojan. I'll put a link on our site and also tell others in my posts. You're the Best!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
About the turkey...we're in about the same boat here with just me and my two daughters trying to do away with an 18 pounder! :tazz:

Everest makes Belarc look pretty lame, I think. It looks at everything and even tests the memory a little as it runs. I use it a lot to gather system information from users that are unsure of what they have.

$120 for a MoBo alone would be a pretty good deal so I'd say "Jump on it!" If you'd like me to look around a bit, though, run the everest, Click on the motherboard icon in the right pane, then click on it again. Click on "Report" in the toolbar, point to "Quick Report - Motherboard" and click on "HTML" and save it to a file (watch where it saves to or save it to a location of your choosing). Then attach it to a post here.

Kids these days are sure something aren't they...you know that we have a 14 year old staff member here? Seems like there are only a couple staff members here older than me.... :)

regards,
wannabe1