Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD-CD Rom Problems

• Please log in to reply

bigdave

bigdave

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Does anyone know what might cause your HD to grind to little short of a stop when I'm ripping CDs and DVDs? It didn't happen on my older PC and it's really taking the mick now at this stage. I can't do anything a whole lot when my drive is ripping. Forget playing music.

[bleep], I can't even watch a DVD because it's so slow to respond. My CD-Rom is the same way. I doubt it's the actual drives.

Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Bear in mind that when you rip, you're ripping to the hard drive so if the drive is a slow and older model most of its time is going to be taken up reading and writing the rip.

Hard drives that do unusual things like this are usually a sign of impending failure mechanics-wise.

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Bear in mind that when you rip, you're ripping to the hard drive so if the drive is a slow and older model most of its time is going to be taken up reading and writing the rip.

Hard drives that do unusual things like this are usually a sign of impending failure mechanics-wise.

HD is brand new and runs fine otherwise. CD Rom is old and DVD Rom is new but he had both on an older much slower PC recently. Could the cable be the problem? If not, what else could cause it?

Thanks again.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You have not stated what your hardware setup is on your computer. I shall assume you are running XP on a pent 2.4 puter or newer. I burn dvd's on a pent 2.4 with 512 mb of memory. Usually this takes 20 to 30 minutes and i do nothing else with the puter when burning. I also clear the temp and temp internet files and reboot the puter before i burn a dvd. I have my dvd burner on IDE2 as master by itself. My cd-rw is slaved to the harddrive on IDE1 although this does slow burning cd's somewhat it usually only takes 6 minutes to burn a cd. My next upgrade to the puter will be 1 gig of memory to help burning dvd's.

When burning a dvd you are moving a lot of data all at one time. You really cant expect any computer to burn dvd's and also be able to use other program or surf the internet quickly. Even with 512 mb of memory i can watch my pagefile usage go a lot higherwhile burning a dvd. This means windows is writing to temporary files on the HD which is a lot slower than using memory.

SRX660