Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The problem that appears to be Geek Proof!

• Please log in to reply

Youdamnskippy

Youdamnskippy

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I started out on Nov. 10th, in Malware with a TrojanElitebar and never got any help.

Next I came here and after trying a few of Keith's suggestions was sent back to Malware's 3-day-no-response forum.

Finally got some help on Malware, tried several more things, ended up with Armodeluxe saying,

"I can't comment on the defragmenting issue as it is completely beyond my knowledge..I suggest that you make a post on Windows forums (tell them that you got a clean bill from Malware Removal) and the staff there would be able to help you on that issue hopefully..

Here is the Malware log of what has occured so far:
http://www.geekstogo...=0

Basically, I can't open up "My Computer" from the start menu, I am getting inundated with pop-ups, and most importantly when I run XP degragment - none of the (tons of) fragmented files get moved.
So, if there is anyone who can fix this it would be most appreciated.
Anybody?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you are still getting popups after getting a clean bill of health, then you likely have a rootkit.

Just so we are clear...Let's start there...still getting popups?

Edited by gerryf, 22 November 2005 - 05:26 PM.

Youdamnskippy

Youdamnskippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,
Thanks for replying.
Yes, I'm still getting pop-ups in addition to everything else.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Youdamnskippy...

Open your Device Manager...is the window populated? (Are your devices listed?)

wannabe1

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: Probably the best program to discover if you have a rootkit is
"RootkitRevealer" available at :
www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/rootkitrevealer.html .
There is also a lot of good info about rootkits there.
Before running that program, make sure you have
deleted all Temporary Internet Files just prior to running it .

Youdamnskippy

Youdamnskippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Nothing but a blank window in Device Manager.

Youdamnskippy

Youdamnskippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Whoah, I ran rootkitrevealer and it found 49,302 discrepancies!

After reading about rootkits on that website it looks like I need to consider re-formatting my hard drive and starting over. If I save needed files before doing so don't I run the risk of re-installing a virus/trojan/rootkit thing all over again?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Youdamnskippy...

The RootKit was what I suspected when I asked you to look at Device Manager. You can get rid of it with the help of the Malware Folks. Post in Malware from the link I've provided below and put RootKit infection in the title of your post...they are very interested in these infections right now and that will attract their attention.

Do Not use RootKit removal tools without the supervision of someone who is experienced with them...they can cause a lot of problems if not used properly.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here...then post a HiJackThis log in THAT Forum as I described above.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 November 2005 - 11:05 PM.