Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

Nancy S.

Nancy S.

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I recently got some help with my computer that wasn't booting up. I removed the battery inside the computer and put it back in and that got the computer working again.

It worked for a couple days, but now it won't boot up again. I am not getting the message I got before (Warning!! Some changes in chipset or clock settings ...). I am not getting any message. I can get into Safe Mode. I tried resetting to a previous restore point, but that didn't work. I think there is something major messed up since it tends to suddenly go out for no reason.

Now, when I am in safe mode and start going through the setting a new restore point process, about 20 little notices pop up saying:

Notice
A Change to the Default User Folders Requires Approval
An attempt to change your default user folder [shell folder] to %USERPROFILE%\Desktop has been detected.
Shell folders are special folders that Windows uses to indicate the default location for many types of settings and data.
Advice: Since it is not known if this is spyware you should analyze it before deciding to allow it.

I have not allowed allowed this "change to the default user folders"

In any case, I am at a loss.

Because of the latest message, I am not sure whether to post to the malware thread.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Nancy

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think what they told in that thread is still an issue--your CMOS battery is dying. That is at least part of the problem (the first error message).

First, get a new battery, then we can move on from there.

Nancy S.

Nancy S.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okey doke,

I have the new battery installed and I'm now able to log on.

I still get these little windows coming up on top of each other:

A Change to the Default User Folders Requires Approval

An attempt to change your default user folder (shell folder) to %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu has been detected.

Shell folders are special folders that Windows uses to indicate the default location for many types of settings and data.

Advice: Since it is not known if this is spyware you should analyze it before deciding to allow it.

What would you like to do?
Allow Block

When I went to turn off the computer I also got a message:

Run-time error '462'
The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable

Thanks for your help!