Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Auto Protect Disabled

• Please log in to reply

airind

airind

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Help! Weirdest thing, my Norton Antivirus has been working just fine for a good 10 months now. I haven't upgraded or anything like that, although the virus definitions did update on the 16th of November. Yesterday, I restarted my computer because it was getting a bit sluggish and when it rebooted I got the error "Norton Antivirus Auto-Protect Drives could not be loaded" I tried restarting and it didn't work. I went to Norton.com's page and tried all of their suggestions, from checking the date and time stamp on my computer to making sure the correct processes were running and registering the Wintrust.dll file. None of this has been successful. I ran Stinger and it came up with no viruses. I also ran regular norton virus scan (it may be important to note that it's only my auto protect that isn't working, I can still run regular scans... and clicking on "enable auto protect" doesn't work) and also had no results. I haven't done anything to Norton at all, so why did it all of a sudden stop working? And how can I fix it?

I moved recently and it beats me where the stupid CD is to reload it... so I'm hoping someone has a better fix than reinstalling.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi airind! Welcome to G2G!

Seems you have virus checking covered, but have you run any kind of spyware removal program like Spybot or MS Antispyware? If you haven't, then I suggest you have and then take a stroll down to the Malware Forum, especially read the START HERE, and let an expert there take a look at a HijackThis log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health form the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help solve your current problem.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 22 November 2005 - 08:16 PM.

airind

airind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I posted a hijack this log on the 22nd of November in the appropriate forum... how long should it take to get a reply?

SpiritWind1

SpiritWind1

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: After posting in the "Malware Removal" forum AND you have had no responses,
you should go to the "Community" forum, then "Off-topic", then post a request
for help in the "3 Day No Reply" thread .
I did notice in your HijackThis log, that you have the undesirable
"Messenger Plus" which is the "Lop" spyware.
After the Experts get you clean, you should uninstall your current
version(s) of Sun Java, then go to www.java.com & get their latest .