Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating Acrobat Reader 6.0.1 to 6.0.2 Problems

• Please log in to reply

willow2002

willow2002

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am trying to update Acrobat Reader 6.0.1 to 6.0.2. I have Windows 98SE. I've been trying to do the update through Adobe by going to help then updates. I download the update OK but during the installation I get an update failed message. I also tried downloading the update from Adobe's website, but when I try to install it, it tells me I need to install version 6.0.1 first. Any help would be great.

Also when Cleanup is run in its default mode (whatever the settings are when your first install it) would it delete any files needed for McAfee Antivirus/Firewall.

Lastly any tips on using registry cleaners. I would like to try and make my computer run a little faster. I used Registry Mechanic and was a little too overzealous. Let's just say its the reason I have to reintall and update Acrobat Reader and everything else that was on my computer.

Thanks!

Advertisements

mdoc

mdoc

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Dunno if this help you or not, but the current version is 7.0.5. I believe you should uninstall the reader completely before you download the current version. This solved a previous problem i had with version 7.0.0

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Dunno if this help you or not, but the current version is 7.0.5. I believe you should uninstall the reader completely before you download the current version. This solved a previous problem i had with version 7.0.0

The 6.0X version is the highest it gets for win98 or ME.

Speaking of the registry, you might want to look there to see if the Adobe version is properly entered. I have a suspicion that a missing registry entry is causing your update problem. When the installer scans the registry it doesn't find the right version.

willow2002

willow2002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I uninstalled Reader and then reinstalled it. After reinstalling I was able to perform all updates. Thanks so much for all of your help.

I also lost my WinZip. Are there any freeware programs that would do the same thing?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I also lost my WinZip. Are there any freeware programs that would do the same thing?

Yes, there's a nice one called 7-zip, just Google for the link. It's entirely free and does just about anything winzip does and many of the things winrar does.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Yes, there's a nice one called 7-zip, just Google for the link. It's entirely free and does just about anything winzip does and many of the things winrar does.

Apart from the fact its got an ugly interface in my eyes.

Give Izarc (Google it) a run, looks just like Winzip.