Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LPT1 in Windows 95

• Please log in to reply

mitzi

mitzi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was working on a Windows 95 machine and tried to upgrade the printer. The system is used for
a Point of Sale program connected to a cash register. I tried installing an Epson first, then an HP and
kept getting an error message. Somehow in the process I lost LPT1 and now can't get the old track fed
printer to work again either. Can someone please help me????

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Hello Mitzi, you might want to first go into Device Manager and uninstall (remove) everthing for the printer port, including the port itself. Then reboot and see if the hardware installer detects the port and reinstalls it. Do you have the win95 installation files, either on the win95 companion or installation disk, or on the machine hard drive? You will probably need them. How about the software for the older printer?

mitzi

mitzi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for answering so fast! I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the Epson & HP and for some reason the Epson is attached to LPT2 even though the software is gone. When I delete LPT2 from device manager, it comes back as LPT2 (Epson Port). I was able to load the old printer, a "Citizen", again but it is also trying to use LPT2 and I'm getting an error that there's a communication problem, and that I should make sure it's plugged in an online. The POS system that is on that computer is an old DOS based program, I suspect. Any other suggestions?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Is there a second printer port on the computer? Sometimes you can have an interrupt request conflict with ports. You may want to look in System Information, part of System tools, and see if there are any device conflicts and IRQ conflicts.

I'm not at all aquainted with DOS based printing, and maybe some else could kick in some ideas here.

mitzi

mitzi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There's a USB port - I tried connecting with that and got the same error message. Do you know if there's something in win.ini or one of those other system files that might have gotten deleted for LPT1? When I add a printer it defaults to LPT1 in the install, but in the box below, the only available port is LPT2 - so I have to click on LPT2 for the installer to work.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You would just have to open system.ini with wordpad and use the search function to find any entries. If you haven't changed anything with DOS I don't know why it would be deleted. Another place where changes may have occured is in Setup, but that doesn't seem very likely. Most prbably you have some kind of software/hardware conflict that needs to be be resolved.

Edited by Tyger, 22 November 2005 - 08:59 PM.