Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Coffee Shop forum rules discussion

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes agreed i would never stay awake through my morning lectures without a mocha infusion let alone reach my pc for some full geekage wonder.

Advertisements

nick_mi

nick_mi

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

140 thousand members and we have heard 5 people with problems with the changes, I would not say you have a majority.

ScHwErV :tazz:

While at the same time 2 people who have agreed with the changes, and there has not been one thank you, where if something was bothering me so greatly, and someone fixxed it for me, I would at least give a thank you.

Also, I believe this is run off of invision boards? You could set a passworded forum. =/

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Also, I believe this is run off of invision boards? You could set a passworded forum. =/

That way the password could be requested.

If you are determined to not allow the religion/politics topics, then I agree that a separate forum should be created for those, so that those of us who do want to have discussions on them can.

EDIT: Here's my full suggestion. We create a separate Invision Board for those topics and maybe some others. We make a topic in the Coffee Shop with a link to the Religion/Politics site. That way, this site still provides access to those topics, but they aren't a part of Geeks To Go. Just let me know and I'll create the forum.

Edited by masterj3000, 30 November 2005 - 04:13 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Religion topics will not be a part of this site. Although we allow a lot of latitude, as witnessed but the 10 commandments and other topics. Politics are open to review, but I think in general they are just poor topics on a global forum like this. Can you show me one political topic that has generated a good discussion?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think that we should put this to bed....i respect the decisions made by the administrative team...you guys know what you're doing..and whether i agree with it or not...this isn't MY forum.

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
I think the problem is this. With those four topics, even if a discussion is happening, people feel so strongly about them that they will try to change other people's opinions when discussing them.

Politics always seems to be an inflammatory subject. I hold my own view but when discussing politics I could easily upset another, just as they could easily upset me, even by saying something that I thought was true...It's better just not to talk about it if people don't all agree on this subject. I mean, look at all of the politicians and how much they argue. I just try to stay away from all of that-arguing isn't productive.

Religion would be okay to talk about except there are so many religions that everyone would be disagreeing. Still, It would be an interesting topic to keep.

Abortion and sex are a little too adult-oriented to be located at a family forum.

I agree with the administrators on this issue. Since it is their forum, their word is final.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Politics doesnt neccesarilly have to cause huge rifts in opinion most people wont have any particulr idea on most things and global politics should be allowed to be discussed, local polotics discussions are the ones that are started and since they are local no one wants to talk about them. And religion it hasnt caused much problems on the board and there are alot of religions we can talk about it does annoy me that all the topics on religion always boil down to one religion i would like to talk about some other ones for a change.

A paaword wouldnt be a bad idea its quite a common thing to have on alot of forums.

nick_mi

nick_mi

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Yes, could we get an opionon from the admins on what they think of a passworded forum?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I think the password protected forum completely misses the point of this discussion. Password protected or not, a computer help site is not the place for such conversations.

ScHwErV :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think that we're all beating a dead horse here....it seems that a decision has been made....whether you like the decision or not...it's been made...and i respect the decision...and the reasons behind it...there is nothing stopping anyone from setting up their own little forum for this kind of stuff...it just won't be affiliated with g2g...if you want to start your own room in irc you can

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Then why do we have an offtopic board at all then, its not used for any technical discussions, i wouldnt mind another site, something like geekbanter.com would be nice and that way all the non technical forums could be moved off site and we can have a temple of pure geekdom here.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
My 0.02 cents

I think what has made this site great is that it doesn't/didnt have a political forum. Thats good.

I've been working on technical projects with technical people for more than 30 years. I've learned the hard way that technical stuff doesnt mix with politics/religion etc. I've worked with very bright technical people who are to the left of Karl Marx, and I've worked with bright techncial people who are to the right of Ghengis Kahn. I've worked with brilliant aethiests and brilliant christians, and I know there are brilliant buddhists out there.

When I find out that a technical person is way off base from the truth (and what I believe is of course the truth) my estimate of their IQ drops by 20 points at least, no matter how hard I try to work against that effect. If they cant see the the truth of this or that political issue, they must be stupid since they cant see the obvious correct choice. And even though I know thats stupid, it happens.

There is a brilliant malware guy on another forum who I saw make a stupid political remark over in their equivalent of a coffeshop. My opinion of that person has dropped dramatically, and even though I know it is stupid of me think that way. Thats how people are.

When the politics etc is banned its easier to maintin the fiction that these brilliant technical minds share my brilliant ideas on topics A,B & C.

Its best to restrict those political conversations to people who have been your friends for years, (and even there be careful), or to some political club or a Toastmasters group.

I want my friends here to be technical friends who can help me out of technical jams and who maybe I can help out once in a while. Politics etc just mucks that up.

Technical stuff has an objective reality, testable by experiment (quantum mechanics aside). Politics/religion/history by definition has a softer more pliable reality that can never really be tested by experiment.

They make a poor mix. (I'm certain that I'm right and anyone who thinks differently is cleary wrong, which can be shown by a simple experiment using 2 cc of politics, one meter of religion at 43degrees celsuis.............) :)

Theres gottta be about a buzillian places on the internet where peopel hold forth on politics/religion etc.
I dont mind this place being politics free.

My always right 0.02cents (except for the one time I thought I was wrong but I was really right. I dont want to talk about that one :tazz: )

best regards

EMCguy