Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Difficulty

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=433211

Hi everyone, above is the link to my initial post. But really the problem wasn't solved. I thought I could just leave it and forget it. But I've just done a data backup this afternoon and because I can't remove the specific file, the whole folder won't go away. It is indeed annoying and I really really want to get rid of it.

I know it's 0KB and it lacks a file association or whatever there is, but isn't there a way to get rid of it?

Cheers

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi chinofeliz...

Give This Procedure a try. Let us know if it works for you. There are other ways to do this, but some of them are a bit complicated... :tazz:

wannabe1

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Nope it didn't work out :tazz:

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Try this utility, might work-
http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Can you create a new folder - drag the file into it and delete the new folder?

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Dear 1069, when I went to drag it, it comes up saying "Cannot move file: Cannot read from the source file or disk".

It's a hard case isn't it? I'm hating my lecturer for sending those powerpoint files now. I also tried deltree command in DOS, didn't work out either.

Dagger, I'm just getting onto your suggestion now, will get back on it.

Cheers

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi dagger, just to let you know your method didn't work out but appreciate your rely. Because MoveonBoot is specializing in deleting files that are locked by other applications, loaded into memory or cannot be changed until next system boot. It is not really targeting my case - I've tried everything - stopping all the running applications, reboot then delete, DOS delete - they just didn't work out.

Obviously, it's a file that doesn't exist anymore but still shows up, a shortcut to something that doesn't exist.

Gosh it's annoying me so bad now.

Cheers guys for replies and I'm hoping...

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hi chino,

I'm sorry the utility didnt work. Bfore giving up, here's one more method, that i have seen work for many people, (have not tried it myself)

to Quote from another forum

Here is a method that I know will work did it last night myself. Updated my BIOS and I had saved the original file to my desktop kept saying it was active and wouldn't let me delete it either.

Do a search on google for advanced system optimizer by System Tweak. Has a free 30 day trial. Install it, it has a feature called secure delete, its found under the privacy and security section. Boot up in safe use the administrator account open the optimizer program select the secure delete function, type the filename.exe in the box and trust me it will delete that file. Its a round about way but if the file is getting on your nerves because you can't get rid of it, it'll be well worth it. Good Luck!!!

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: I recently became aware of a program called "Unlocker"
available at http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker . Based on
your experience with the prior recommendations, I do not
know if it would duplicate similar results !? However, there
is a "comparison" of features of similar programs you
may find useful on that site .

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Dagger, thanx for your reply again :tazz: These things seem to test us, don't they? I'm looking for the application suggested in your post atm, just to let you know that I've tried deleting the specific file using Ad-Aware Professional's secure delete function but it didn't work out. I'm hopeful though... to see if the tweaker works.

And hey guys really I have to say be careful with DOS, one of my good friends was teaching me how to try to delete it using the DOS command "deltree" (as it was the only file in the only folder in "My Documents") so I went wild with it.

For some reason, after I gave up I saved some (quite important files) into My Document and they just disappeared automatically when I went to use them later last night - shocking!

K, will get back to you about the tweaker program, cheers :)