Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with an ATI Graphics Card and Driver

• Please log in to reply

Kiyuri Miro

Kiyuri Miro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

Basically, for a while now, I've been suffering from problems with my laptop.
I've owned it for almost a year now, its a Toshiba Satellite A60.

The problem is with my graphics card and its driver, the Ati2dvag.dll file. Every time.

The problem used to be something of an annoyance. Spontaneously, while using the laptop, there would be a temporary freeze, followed by the screen blacking out, followed by the screen coming back, only at 800x600 pixels, and 8 colour mode. Normally I run at 1024x7xx and full colour mode.

Usually this was something that could be sorted by a reboot. Annoying, but feasable.

MS Windows error reporter did nothing to help. It says that I needed to update my graphics driver. However, upon doing this, I find the newest version for my card (a mobility radeon 7000 IGP) still suffers from the same problem.

Recently, however, the problem has been much worse. Instead of freezing, I'll get a blue screen of death in which the ati2dvag driver gets stuck in an infinite loop. It even has a delightful habit of cropping up before I can save what I'm doing >_>

Now, whenever I switch my laptop on, it can take 1-3 attempts to boot, as as soon as the screen starts it may go to a blue screen. Being a computing student I need this to not happen.

Going from advice, I suspected it was a thermal issue, and installed speedfan to monitor.

The voltage can't be measured, and the temp only comes up with HDO and temp1, so I have no idea what it is thats being measure. HDO is anything between 40-50C, and temp1 is anything between 50 and 80C

I decided to open up my laptop to clean it, only to find that half of the casing was stuck down, preventing me from fully opening it up, as well as a series of cables connecting the case to the motherboard, with no visible way of detaching and reattaching them.
So my cleaning it out of dust wasn't exactly the best attempt ever made, as it was almost impossible to open the laptop enough without snapping some important bus'

I formatted yesterday, and promptly re-installed all the newest driver updates, but I'm still suffering from the problem.

PC specs
2.8Ghz
192 Ram
60 Gig HDD
Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP graphics, (64Mg)

Any advice/recommendations/solutions/giving me a new laptop all welcome and recieved.

Thanks!

Advertisements

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
what driver are u using? the original cd driver or the one from www.ati.com. if u know the manufacturer for ur graphic card, try search their site and download the driver there.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You might try downloading and installing the latest .net framework 1.1 from the microsoft website.

Kiyuri Miro

Kiyuri Miro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Done that. Did it last night. I'm still getting about 3 blue screens before I can even start using my Laptop.