Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access Windows - too many missing files!

• Please log in to reply

Woman

Woman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
GRRR!!!

My broadband was unplugged for two days. Upon plugging it in again, I found I couldn't access the Internet. I went through my broadband provider's instruction book, following their step-by-step guide to set-up, to make certain all was as it should be.

When all was done, I was asked to put in my Windows CD - which was here at work. I shut down for the night.

Yesterday, I tried again. This time, no request for the Windows CD but no Internet access, either.

I put the Windows CD in anyway, thinking, "What could it hurt?" It stopped 62% of the way through (my D-drive is quite iffy). I popped the CD out after several minutes of no action and tried again. Nothing. I turned the PC off and on again.

Now, I can't get in to Windows at all. On the black screen (DOS-mode?) I get over 50 messages of files missing - mostly VVM or VMM, I think. At the end, I'm told to restart. When I do, the same thing happens. When I don't restart, the computer shuts down itself.

I can run a scandisk, so I'm assuming I'm stuck in DOS. Typing in WIN, however, gets me nowhere.

HELP!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Woman...

Try following this procedure to Reinstall Windows 98. This technique should leave your data intact, but with Windows, there is no guarantee that this will be the case.

wannabe1

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi,

If you can't get into Windows at all as you said, try this:

Download a Win98 Boot Disk from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

When prompted click on Save and browse to, and select a location folder. (Make a note of the file name and the folder location).

After the download if you locate the file and click on it it will prompt you to put a floppy in the drive ( a clean, formatted one). It will self extract and write to the floppy to create a BOOT DISK.

On the machine that you have problems with - put the BOOT DISK in the floppy drive and your Win98 cd in the CDROM drive.

Switch on. The machine should access the floppy and go into the boot sequence. You will be given the option (amongst others) to Boot with CDROM Support - select this.

After a sequence of activity you will be looking at the A:\ prompt.

Type D:\ (if this is the drive letter allocated to your CDROM drive) hit return key.

Now type Setup.exe ( so it looks like D:\setup.exe) Hit the return key.

Win98 should install - hopefully without you losing any data.

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thank you both so much!

Windows is up and running now...but I get a message every time I surf the Net about:

msvcrt.dll 6.0.2800.1106 6.1.8293.0

What have I destroyed this time - any ideas?

/Amanda

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Woman...

Now you've really done it! (just kidding.... :tazz: )

This is actually a very common error and is usually resolved by installing the following runtime update.

Go HERE, click the Next button, and download the file. Once downloaded, just double click the downloaded file to install it and reboot your machine. Let us know if this solves the problem...

wannabe1

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hey, Wannabe.

Thanks for your help!

I'm at work now and have downloaded to a diskette (can't get into this page on my own computer - only to geeks home page, and then not always - I have to play beat the clock with the error message).

I'll give this a shot when I get home this evening and keep you posted. Until then, can you tell my why this happened? I was dumb enough to check out a link someone gave me to a webpage that said something about an error and that my IP address had been logged. Shortly after that, my Net connection was unplugged for a couple of days and I had to reinstall Windows. Any connection? Time for me to stop monkeying around with my computer? (OK, I admit it - I'm a geek wannabe meself - but not doing a very good job of it!)

Thanks for the help!

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
1069 -

Thanks for the tip. I've copied and pasted and printed it - I monkey around just too much to not have it handy!

/Amanda

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hmmm... Well, since I can't get into this site from my PC at home, I tried saving the "Libraries" download to a floppy. Didn't work.

I copied the URL by hand and typed it in. I got in and it seemed to download but then, when it comes time to extract, it says something about not being able to (I have Izarc).

I've read of this problem and heard I might have to delete something that shows up on HiJack This. Any one know anything about that?

Thank you!

A stuck monkey.

/Amanda

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Here's my HiJackThis log. Anything funny there that might be causing the error message?

Thanks for the help!

/Amanda

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 20:16:51, on 2005-12-01
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINMODEM.101\wmexe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IRMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM\PERSONAL\BIN\PERSONAL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM\IZARC\IZARC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ARCF151\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.oneplace..../truth_for_life
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Program\Vanliga filer\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer erhållen av Spray
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=proxy1.telia.com:8080
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = login1.telia.com;<local>
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Länkar
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Aktivitetsfältet] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ICSMGR] ICSMGR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Welcome] C:\WINDOWS\Welcome.exe /R
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IrMon] IrMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [winmodem] WINMODEM.101\wmexe.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [F-Secure Management Agent] C:\PROGRAM\BREDBANDSBOLAGET SECURITY SERVICES\Common\FSMA32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Webbfilter - {200DB664-75B5-47c0-8B45-A44ACCF73C00} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {200DB664-75B5-47c0-8B45-A44ACCF73F04} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Tillåt den här webbplatsen - {200DB664-75B5-47c0-8B45-A44ACCF73F04} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {200DB664-75B5-47c0-8B45-A44ACCF73F03} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blockera den här webbplatsen - {200DB664-75B5-47c0-8B45-A44ACCF73F03} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {200DB664-75B5-47c0-8B45-A44ACCF73F02} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Inaktivera webbsidefilter - {200DB664-75B5-47c0-8B45-A44ACCF73F02} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {200DB664-75B5-47c0-8B45-A44ACCF73F01} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Visa &lista över webbplatser - {200DB664-75B5-47c0-8B45-A44ACCF73F01} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Dell Home - {4E523220-7BD0-11D3-B555-E0E849C10000} - http://www.euro.dell...gen/default.htm (file missing) (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRAM\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRAM\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab34246.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://zone.msn.com/...aploader_v6.cab
O16 - DPF: {DAF5D9A2-D982-4671-83E4-0398706A5F6A} (SCEWebLauncherCtl Object) - http://zone.msn.com/...WebLauncher.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pdownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg...v45/yacscom.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat - http://us.chat1.yimg...t/c381/chat.cab

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Woman...

In a word...yes! :tazz:

Let's let the malware experts deal with this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Advertisements

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hello, Wannabe.

I've downloaded and used most of what's posted on the malware forum. Used the spyware, etc., just before HiJackThis.

Now, I can't get into the webpage (I'm at work at the moment - and the problem is on my PC at home).

I'll post my HJT log there, cross my fingers, and kick myself in the bum for opening a link from an unknown source.

Thanks!

Amanda

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi, Wannabe.

No replies at all from the Malware folks, so I don't know if ol' Bessie here gets a clean bill of health or if she's got one foot in the PC graveyard.

According to Trend, AdAware & SpyBot S&D, there's nothing lurking here.

Would reformatting help? If so, is it something monkey could do?

As usual, thank you!

/Amanda

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Woman...

A two to three day wait for a malware expert to reply to your log is not unusual...that's an awful busy forum.

In looking over your previous posts, I get the impression that there are no important files on the computer that need to be preserved. If this is the case, we might try to do a format/reinstall of the OS. If this is something you'd like to do, let me know and I'll be happy to help you with it.

To accomplish the above mentioned procedure, I would recommend that you create a startup diskette from the Windows 98SE machine. To do this, open Control Panel and double click on Add/Remove Programs. Under the "Startup Disk" tab, click the "Create Disk" button and follow the prompts.

wannabe1

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Start disk formatted. Took a while. Twice, Real Player popped up when I put the Windows CD in place. My machine is haunted...

Will formatting/reinstalling the OS get rid of the msvcrt.dll problem? Will it wipe the slate clean like it was the day I bought it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Woman...

Yes, formatting the HDD and reinstalling Win98SE will "wipe the slate clean". You will have to reinstall all the programs you use again and will have to run all the Windows Updates.

Make sure you have the following before we begin:
  • Win98SE Startup Diskette
  • Win98SE Installation CD
  • Product Key Code
A quick summary of what we need to do...We'll use fdisk to delete all partitions on the HDD and then create a new Primary DOS partition and set it as the active partition. We'll then format the partition with a FAT32 file system and install the Win98SE Operating System.

This is going to take a while...when you are ready to go, let me know.

wannabe1