Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help on connecting new router

• Please log in to reply

lala562

lala562

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My old router, D-Link, has been working fine when i run it to my DSL modem. But when i tried to connect my new router, Linksy, it says "limited or no connectivity" and my internet connectivity doesn't work. I've tried hooking up one computer to my DSL modem, and it said the same thing "limited or no connectivity". It still doesn't let me connect to the internet. When I hooked everything up again to my old router, it works fine. I desperately need help to fix this problem in order to get the my new Linksy router to work!! :tazz: Any suggestions??

Advertisements

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi lala562, Welcome to GTG !! :tazz:

Which Linksys router do you have??

Take the Ethernet cable that was plugged into the D-Link and plug it into port closest to the WAN port, or into the LAN port of the Linksys router
Look on the front of the router. The following lights should be illuminated:
Power
WAN Link
Link/Act (On the port that you connected your computer to)

Note: If other lights other than Link/Act are illuminated on this port, that is normal
Hold the Reset button (should be a small button on back of router) on the router for 30 seconds or more
Shut down your computer
Unplug the power from the router
Unplug the power from the DSL modem
Wait for 30 seconds and re apply power to the DSL modem
Once the lights on the DSL modem stop blinking power up the Router
Once the Router stops blinking, Start up your PC

Let me know if that worked!!

Edited by Linkmaster, 23 November 2005 - 10:59 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This will be a router issue, seeing as your system is able to connect to the D-Link and will use exactly the same methods to try and connect to the LinkSys.

It might be an idea to reset it to factory settings, even more so if its a second user one. Or it might just be confused. Or broken.

lala562

lala562

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi lala562, Welcome to GTG !! :tazz:

Which Linksys router do you have??

Take the Ethernet cable that was plugged into the D-Link and plug it into port closest to the WAN port, or into the LAN port of the Linksys router
Look on the front of the router. The following lights should be illuminated:
Power
WAN Link
Link/Act (On the port that you connected your computer to)

Note: If other lights other than Link/Act are illuminated on this port, that is normal
Hold the Reset button (should be a small button on back of router) on the router for 30 seconds or more
Shut down your computer
Unplug the power from the router
Unplug the power from the DSL modem
Wait for 30 seconds and re apply power to the DSL modem
Once the lights on the DSL modem stop blinking power up the Router
Once the Router stops blinking, Start up your PC

Let me know if that worked!!

I have a Wireless-G Broadband Router.

I followed your steps, but it didn't work. I still can't connect onto the internet with the Linksys router. :)