Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Downloads-Windows in general

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
This is a question that should have been asked by me a long time ago.

When downloading drivers and programs such as AVG, Spybot and the like, where should the file be saved? On the desktop, Documents?

Please advise, also advise if this is applicable to Windows XP Pro.

Thanks

Regards

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Doesn't really matter.. I made a directory on my c: drive and called it "Downloads".. I put everything I download into that directory!!

Murray

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I dump everything on the desktop, then just delete anything I don't want to keep and shift anything else to another folder.

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Having a separate "downloads" folder is very effective and efficient to locate and track your downloads. You can then configure Firefox (if used) to save all downloads into that special downloads folder.

Also, over time you may want to also have other application folders used to store related common files (one to two old versions of each app, etc.) for things like extracting intallation files, etc., to help organize your files as they become numerous and we forget which files go with what... I use either a separate partition or even a separate disk to store personal files to help facilitate efficient backups, easy reinstallations, defrag separation and optimizations, pagefile locations and performance optimizations, etc.