Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003 email problem

• Please log in to reply

neil

neil

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've a bit of a stronge problem with Outlook 2003. I've recently moved over to outlook after using Eudora for a number of years. I've got Outlook set up fine a have no problem sending and receiving emails, the only problem is that when my laptop restarts after hibernating Outlook stops being able to receive emails. It still sends OK but the progress meter gets stuck on reeceiving. After it eventually times out I get the following message:

Task 'mail1.slu.se - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the recieiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP).'

This only happens after Hibernating and not Standby mode, and all I have to do to get Outlook to work again is close and restart it, not really a major problem by quite annoying!

The only other info which might be of interest is that when I first connect to the mail server I get the following box:

The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider. Do you want to continue using this server?

This apparently always happens with our work server when connecting from a remote location and I have been told to just click yes. What I was wondering is if I somehow need to reconfirm this security question when the computer comes out of hibernation?

Anyway, perhaps not the worlds most dramatic of problems, but any suggestions would be gratefully received (or not if the computer has just hibernated...!)

/neil

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...when the machine goes into hibernation....not only does the hard drive and video card and all that jazz turn off..but so does your processor and your NIC card....in theory (sorry but i've never seen this issue cuz i never allow my machine's to hibernate) there could be an issue with the NIC not waking up as fast as the rest of the system...or it might not be waking up at all...untill you reinitiate the connection by restarting outlook.....try turning off hibernation...and just letting the device go to standby instead...see if that makes a difference

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
< cuz i never allow my machine's to hibernate>

I think that's good advice. I don't use it either. Sooner or later it will screw things up....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i have yet to see a motherboard manufacturer that can correctly accomplish a safe and reliable hibernation....it involves entirely too much hardware compatability....your drive has to be just right for that board's scheme...so does the ram and the processor and anything else plugged in....most of the hibernation schemes don't really care if your hardware is compatable with their method of hibernation....if the device doesn't turn of cleanly...it doesn't care...just closes the port and is done with it.

neil

neil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sounds like standby is the way forward!

I've turned off Hibernate now, just left still there if the battery runs out so that I don't lose work.

Nice when it is an easy simple answer :tazz:

Thanks!
/neil

sam smith

sam smith

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

I'll suggest to turn off the hibernate and for solving the error 0x8004210a you can refer to my handout.