Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't view HTTPS:// pages (SSL)

• Please log in to reply

jittor

jittor

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello everyone,

my computer will not view any secure (https) pages. I can view any unsecure page like the login page to yahoo mail but when I try to login and the page goes to a secure https page I get the page can't be displayed or not found error. I have been trying to fix this problem most of the night and I am at a loss.
My Chiper is at 128, I have all updates, ran spyware, cleaned out my internet files, Use SSL 2.0 and 3.0 are checked, I verified that the cryptographic services servece is started and I have also re-registered the Dll files, Clear the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) slate and AutoComplete history, Verify that the Date and Time Settings on Your Computer Are Correct,
I have used test sites and it will not connect to them. I don't know what else to do. Help

thanks - Jon

Advertisements

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi jittor, Welcome to GTG !! :tazz:

Have a look here :

Internet Explorer Cannot Connect to Secure Sites

Edited by Linkmaster, 23 November 2005 - 09:15 AM.

jittor

jittor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That's Funny, that is another site that I have been using. Been looking at it all day. I will try some of those things and get back to you. I just had a HOTFIX so maybe that is what it is. Seems to be a very common problem!

Thanks - Jon

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Your welcome !!

Hope it works!!

jittor

jittor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I figured it out! - I uninstalled Norton and now it works just like new. I had tried everything and nothing but that worked. My Norton had just expired, so I can't help but wonder if that had something to do with it? Maybe I am just paranoid. Thanks

Jon

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Maybe not that paranoid, my mother couldn't log into her Hotmail account. I was able to determine that this was due to neither IE nor Netscape being able to display secure sites.

A search on "https" brought me to this topic and uninstalling the remnants of Norton Internet Security fixed it for her as well.