Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook2000 account issue

• Please log in to reply

CFox100

CFox100

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a user who needs two different types of email accounts on their Outlook software. One needs to be POP3 another needs to be SMTP. I have managed to setup the accounts, POP3 works fine, but the SMTP will not send or recieve. Do you know if the is even possible to do in Outlook, and how would I go about it?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....i don't think y ou have your info right....POP3 is for recieving email and SMTP is for sending email....

could you describe your actual requirements...such as why you need the two email accounts?...describe the situation completely please

CFox100

CFox100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
this user needs two different email addresses, one for each company they need to receive and send emails from. I originally setup the email account as normal - worked fine. Then I added another account for a server we have a VPN to however this server uses exchange and is setup totally differently. The account is setup on the server but I can't setup outlook to allow the user to operate the account. I hope im not being too vague, im getting myself confused - I just inherited a system that is setup so badly!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...so one email is a pop3/smpt account and the other is exchange?

or is there now a total of 3?

CFox100

CFox100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes, sorry one is definatly POP3/SMTP account which works fine (that was the original) the other account is exchange.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the exchange account should be easy....if you have a persistant conection through the vpn...then what you need to do is open the mail setup in control pannel (with outlook closed) then click the email accounts button..then add a new account...then click the exchange radio button....then you need to put the server name in that top box (depending on the configuration...this may take different formats) usually that would be in the form of server.domain.com (or .local...depending on what the domain name is..)...then put the user's windows logon in the user field...and press the check names button....if this doesn't work..m.ake sure that you can ping the server in question

CFox100

CFox100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank- you will give it a try!! :tazz: