Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

:alarm: No drivers found :alarm:

• Please log in to reply

gaz_the_chav

gaz_the_chav

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Right so here is my situation lol:

I have built my own pc a while ago which works fine but yesterday i developed a problem!

I have wireless internet around my house and I took the USB access point out of my computer ( as i have done may times before ). I reinserted it into a USB port and it came up with USB device not recognised and has malfunctioned! So i did the usual and restarted but no joy. I then put my MP3 player (flash drive) into there aand the same happened. Nothing like this has ever happened before and I am quite worried!

It will only come up with this message if the devices are plugged inot the front USB port and nothing comes up at all (like it is not there) if i plug it in the back USB ports. I have things already plugged in at the back of my computer (in the usb ports) but these still work fine!

Please help me as I am hopeless without the internet!

:tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Try plugging something you know that is currently working into the front USB ports, like a keyboard or mouse. If you can plug something else in into the front USB's then it is your USB wireless device that is not working.

I would check device manager and make sure you have no warnings on your USB devices. In Device Manager, I would expand Universal Serial Bus controllers and make sure there are no yellow exlamations.

gaz_the_chav

gaz_the_chav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
As said I tried plugging my MP3 player in there and I have the printer and they are all working. The only problem (in device manager) is that it sayd unknown device where the wireless adapter should be!

Any ideas please lol!

I am prepared o format if vital but I would want to know that that would sort the problem first :tazz:

gaz_the_chav

gaz_the_chav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
UPDATE!!!!

I have now tried again to plug my printer into the front USB and it does not work it comes up with the same message as with the access point. Then i tried to plug into the back and it worked fine again. I then tried connecting the adapter into the back of then computer but nothing happens which is very frutrating.

Please help!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
has anything ever worked in the front usb port?

It is very easy to reverse the connectors and fry a device. Have you tried removing and plugging the connector from the front to the motherboard again (perhaps one came loose)

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
You could also try re-installing the driver by right clicking the USB device in Device Manager and selecting Re-install driver or Update Driver. Have Windows search the internet if asked.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can also get this driver from the manufacturer's website

gaz_the_chav

gaz_the_chav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
i have tried re - installing the drivers and everthing but it still does not want to play. My main concern is the network adapter as this is my only way of accessing the internet! The USB's at the front are not working i have concluded but i can just not use them for a bit as I have other USB's on the front

thanks alot everyone

any sugestions for the adapter (which does not work in any port - no sign of life)

gaz_the_chav

gaz_the_chav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Come on ppl lol give us a hand please lol i am gaging for the internet on my computer!!

Please help :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your previous post led us to believe we were done.

You never answered my questions

gaz_the_chav

gaz_the_chav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
oh v. sry

yeh it was only until the other day when i removed my network adapter and put it in the front UBS port that this problem has woken! I have used several different device in the front UBS ports but as said now they seem to be screwed. My network adapter seems to have no life at all as even when it is plugged into the rear USb ports nothing happens (no light on the front of the adapter as usual)!

Thanks alot

sry again!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Did you open it up and check the connectors?

A USB port is powered. If it should short out, you can damage things you place into it...so, if you had a network adapter that worked in the back, you put it in the front, and it failed to work, then put it back in the back, I would say that is what likely has occured (I loose more thumbdrives that way)

gaz_the_chav

gaz_the_chav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
i have checked the connectors but no luck.

I have also tried putting the printer in the front (no luck) then i plugged it to its orginal place in the back and it worked fine.

I am pretty certain that it was not a loose connection

cheers