Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CSS

• Please log in to reply

skyhigh007

skyhigh007

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

Where can i download free CSS e-books? i'm just getting started t o learn CSS. Any sugestions ?

Advertisements

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Yes,

I am reading a book on css at the moment.

Its calkled 'Css, cascading style sheets for web design'.

It only costs £16!

You can get it at your local book shop in the computer section!

:tazz:

The Architect

The Architect

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Try these links:

NCD Style Sheet Guide

WDG CSS guide

Complete CSS guide

Actually, they're not books for download, but I think you'll find them extremely helpful.
Downloadable copies of published works (e.g. Eric Meyer's "Cascading Style Sheets: the Definitive Guide,"
"Eric Meyer on CSS" and "More Eric Meyer on CSS") are not legal, and it'd be a shame for such a fabulous and helpful author to get ripped off that way (loss of royalties!)

BTW, here's his web site (he's definitely a CSS guru, if not the CSS guru :tazz: ):
meyerweb.com (css page)

While books are extremely helpful, you can find almost anything you need to know about CSS right on the web - you just have to know how to look for it! If you want to know how to deal with text, for example, key in "text css" in your search engine of choice - you'll be surprised at what you come up with.

Hope this helps!

Edited by The Architect, 23 November 2005 - 03:32 PM.

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Yea, just google it an you'll find a ton of stuff~!

skyhigh007

skyhigh007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you guys for your help. I'm thinking going into web design career. Any suggestions or point on how i should get into it ? what are some of the languages that i need to learn

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
Flash and PHP would be valuable you will also need to paly with deesign layouts as these would help you learn what color schemes work and what layouts are appealing.

The Architect

The Architect

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
As Magosis has indicated, a web designer would be advised to learn Flash and PHP - but, as you're just beginning your development in this field, I'd suggest that you get a really good grasp of CSS and HTML first.

When you're surfing the web, and you come across a site that you're really impressed with, I suggest that you take a look at their HTML source code (click view - source on your browser toolbar) AND their CSS code (you'll find the URL for it near the top of the HTML source code - it's usually just a simple matter of cutting and pasting this info at the end of the http address shown in the address bar - let me know if I need to be more clear here, and I'll give a few examples...). This will give you an idea of how the experts design, code and style.

Things like forms, scripts and other fancy stuff can really showcase your talent, as you become more adept at web design, but, done improperly, these things can make a web designer look amateurish - so, leave this stuff for now until you're comfortable with the basics - easier said than done, I know!

What tools (HTML editors, color pickers, etc.), are you currently using?

skyhigh007

skyhigh007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I dont have any tools because i have no clue what tools are good to start with. I kinda understand what you were saying about the View Source Code. So, i guess i have to get an Flash Software and start installing PHP, MYsql and APache on my computer.

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
for simple editing you may want to get the macromedia studio trial as it had a simple graphics interface, aswell as an excelent more advanced coder interface.

link: www.macromedia.com

The Architect

The Architect

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Here are a couple of decent free tools:

Nvu - HTML editor

Evrsoft 1st page - HTML editor

Blender - 3d graphics creator

Color Blender - generates five matching colors to a base color you start with - you can easily manipulate the results until you come up with a color combination you like

Visual Color Picker - found a website with an impressive color combination? Use this program to get the hex values for the colors used - no need to look at the source code

Actually, this list could go on and on...if you want a particular tool, say an editor or graphics program, try keying in "open source html editor" or "open source (whatever!)" in your browser's search bar. Open source programs are totally, completely free - if you try a search that includes the word "free," you'll likely have to wade through some stuff that isn't really free (!) - like freeware (good stuff most times, but may expire after a specified period).

I'm pretty fortunate to have access to a number of high end applications, but I remember the days when this wasn't always so - and I found that there's a ton of free stuff available, if you're willing to take the time to search for it!

Maybe others have some suggestions along this line - or are we in danger of getting off topic? :tazz:

skyhigh007

skyhigh007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a lot. I'm starting to learn CSS and after that it should be PHP. I hope i can get a job in web design.