Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Socket 940 systems

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I thinking of upgrading but i know 939 will be phased out in a year and AMD will move to 940 for PCs. Is it wise to make a 940 system now and will it be te same technology they will be using? And are they as simple to build as 939 or 754s?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
940 isnt the new socket M2 is the new socket, 940 is for opteron cpus for servers and the like.

Edited by warriorscot, 23 November 2005 - 11:39 AM.

Roffy

Roffy

• Pip
  • 3 posts

940 isnt the new socket M2 is the new socket, 940 is for opteron cpus for servers and the like.

True :tazz:

And no, there is no sense in waiting for the M2. 939's are still very great CPUs. Just because new technology is released doesn't mean other technology is obsolete. I know plenty of people that are still satisfied with their socket 754.
And an M2 will probably have quite a hefty price tag anyway. I guess you could still wait for the release of an M2 because by then the prices of X2s will probably decrease. :)

Edited by Roffy, 26 November 2005 - 05:31 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no good time to upgrade to newer technologies because you know that just round the corner will be brand new technology. Unaffordable tecnology, yes, but new technology all the same.

The "old" (by current standards) Socket A processors suck compared to the new generation of Socket 754 and Socket 939 processors BUT they still pack a decent punch for most users.

Dual-Core processors are definitely the way to go BUT IMO they're too expensive to consider at this time. Price will come down eventually but then you're back to the crucial question again: Do I buy these or wait for something else?

The one key thing you can say is: If you wait until there's nothing new coming out, you wouldn't even have a computer. On the AMD side we've gone through four different socket types in the last two years alone.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can pick a good time to upgrade the release of new technology often results in significant price drops in older kit that is still good look at the 6 series and 8xx series of gfx cards the prices have gone way down and now is a good time to buy them.

In terms of the x2 chips the 3800+ is a good deal and a very good overclocker so its ok for most users and still has great performance. And the 939s are very good cpus they are alot better than the 754 counterparts and are packed with lots of great features and venice and san diego are both great overclocking chips.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
socket M2 uses 940 pins for the processor, but it's different then THE socket 940 which is out right now (used for servers mostly.)

M2 is the future, but aside from the lack of DDR2 support, what's wrong with Socket 939? AMD said themselves that they are, basically, content with where they're at and that Intel's "playing catch up." Just because there is something new out, doens't make everything else outdated. Now may be a little too late to jump into Socket 754, but Socket 939 is still going strong and I wouldn't hesitate on getting it just because of a newer socket that is on the horizon.

Edited by MNOB07, 28 November 2005 - 08:58 PM.