Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen Of Death

• Please log in to reply

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have a Compaq Presario 1510 Laptop. Overall I would rate it as a good machine. :woot:

I am Currently trying to do a lengthy download with Dial Up. OK, I accept it is slower. The problem is that after I am about 2 hours into the download, without warning I get the blue screen of death and the next message is the catastrophic abort.

The message (what I have been able to catch) when it says "Send to Microsoft" is a device driver that is not properly handling an exception is sending the stop message and I loose the entire download. :tazz:

I have not installed new drivers recently. But this happens mainly during an Internet Download where I am going to other Internet Sights to keep the system from going idle.

I have two questions????

1. The blue screen of death does not stay visible long enough to get the information. Is there any way to capture that "Blue Screen Of Death" information? :)

2. Is there any easy (?????) way to identify which device driver?? :) :woot: :woot:

Thanks -- Len Trimlett

Advertisements

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Len,

If you right click My Computer > go to Advanced tab > click Settings under Startup and Recovery > uncheck "Automatically restart" under system failure. This should stop your computer from rebooting after a blue screen.

You can try going to Device Manager and seeing if there are any devices that have a yellow exlamation mark next to them. If there is one, this is probably the device having problems. You can also look at your event logs. go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > and look under Application and System logs and see if you see any errors or warnings, expecially if you see a warning or error at the time of the blue screen. This might help you determine what device is having problems.

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks -- Len :tazz:

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
The Device Manager devices all show clear. No Exclamaition points.

I am looking in the event log viewer. There is an error . Norton Ghost Hung on startup. There is an error or warning (I don't remember which) that SQL Server had an unexpected halt. There are also a couple other aborts....I will take a look at them also.

Thanks. -- Len Trimlett :tazz: