Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp system slowdown

• Please log in to reply

battscave

battscave

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a XP system that is running slow despite running spyware/viris/defrag scans. Is there someway to speed up the start-up menu and to sppen up my system? I have ran a scan using Hijack this, but it is above my head on what to do next.

Thanks

Edited by battscave, 23 November 2005 - 12:36 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not enough info here. If you would like, post a hijack log anyway so that we can see what is running at startup...if I spy malware, I will refer you to the appropriate section

Juanice

Juanice

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer is running very slow and not deleting things that need to deleting. It won't let me remove certain things that are installed and I don't use. And it take a minute or two or three or five to delete emails. I have ran virus scan and put spyware on it and it stills runs slow. Could you please help me with this I need it for homework.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Its possible that the system is still infected, so it wud be good to get ur HJT examined as per gerry's suggestions. Also you will get advice on ur startup list.
Whats the size of your HD? Is it running full?Maybe theres lots of junk loaded in ur system. How long since you ran a disk cleanup? You can download CCleaner or use the disk cleanup utility and clean out ur temporary files, temp internet files, recycle bin files, etc and then run a chkdsk and after that defragment. This will help speed up things.
For files which u cant delete, have you tried deleting in safe mode?
Also check out this thread in this forum for suggestions to delete stubborn files.
http://www.geekstogo...45

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Morning battscave! Happy Turkey Day!

If you would please do what gerryf suggested, and that is to post a HijackThis log. You can download it from the link in my signature. Once you download it, extract the files to a folder on your desktop, then double click the HijackThis.exe file and choose run a scan and save log. Please open up the log it creates in notepad and post everything that shows in your next reply here.

Fenor