Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Faulty Netopia Modem needs replacing

• Please log in to reply

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I have been having trouble with connection being dropped intermittedly on large downloads. My ISP support did a troubleshoot over the phone and ruled out the line connection and the browser software. Then tried to upgrade the firmware for the old modem which failed. So he agreed to mail a replacement which is a newer version of my current modem.

Both modems have Netopia Cayman 3341 stamp on the back, so I'm not sure how the version is newer.

Anyway, could I have some advice on how to replace the modem please? The new modem was shipped with a pack which seems standard for upgrading from dial-up. Plenty of instructions how to disconnect dial-up connection and use the CD-ROM to install the ADSL modem, but nothing to explain how to uninstall a faulty ADSL modems software so I can do a clean install with the new one.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If its exactly the same model you need do nothing. Apart from disconnect the old one and plug the new one in in its place.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Cool, I've got the new modem installed, and I've upgraded the firmware. I'm still getting the same problem with downloading large files, like software tryouts or mp3 mixes though! :tazz:
I did a speedtest and it returned an excellent speed, so is there anything else that it could be?

I got through to the support but it was diverted to a call centre in india, and all that he could suggest was that the phone connection is likely the only reason left that might be interrupting the connection to the server. I thought they were seperate though? :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If the server you are downloading from is heavily overloaded, then you're only going to get a download speed that it can cope with, while usually speeds up as others get off said server or finish their downloads from it.

Only way round this is to either use another server (a mirror) where available or try again later.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would have someone from your phone company/cable company(depending on what kind of connection you have) come out and test the line...they will usually do this for free...

if it is just a busy server issue....try getting a download manager....a download manager is a program that will allow you to pause a download and restart it later...also...if the connection drops...it will automatically save it's latest progress

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
It's not the server I'm dl'ing from because the same issue occurs no matter which site I try.

[edit: @dsenette, firefox has a download manager already, and it makes no difference]

The support guy I talked to today said a call out fee of ~€50-€70 could get charged if it turns out something is not the fault of the ISP. So he suggested try a couple more things before I risk charges like that.

1. Unplug line from the DSL filter behind the PC and connect as directly as possible (no filters, extensions) to the wall socket, to rule out loss from faulty cable.

I tried this and it still seems to be the same!

2. Borrow a laptop and plug it into the modem and see if both computers have the same problem. If not, then back-up the HD and reformat the drive and start fresh with my win2k CD

This sounds even more pricey than the call out :tazz: since I'll have to buy a DVD burner to backup the HD. Anyone know of any good deals on DVD burners (this side of the pond)

Edited by Caine, 25 November 2005 - 02:47 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If you're on an extension, then temporarily relocate to a socket off that extension. For example if you're currently upstairs, you'll usually have another phone socket for downstairs. Have you tried plugging in there?

Depending on how the phone system works in your country, you may be able to disconnect the entire extension to upstairs, if it exists and if its anywher near a decent telephone setup (as laid down by the phone company), may expose a hidden socket for you to play with and try.

Failing this, if there's a socket at the point in your house where the phone comes in from the exchange, try plugging into there, thus bypassing all internal wiring.

If your sockets are too inconvienant to try this setup, it may be worth borrowing a wireless router and card from somebody so you can plug the rourter in downstairs or wherever, and thus do tests and source wirelessly AND eliminate the chance of you having a second faulty USB modem at the same time.

The idea of this sort of troubleshooting is to find out where the fault is occuring. If the issues clear themselves up when you plug into another socket or the "root" of the phone service where it comes into your house, then you know its an internal problem and to call them out would cost you. The onus is on you to try and prove there's a fault on the network and you do this by working backwards along your phone setup until the next physical connection is off your property.

It also doesn't hurt to change the filters as well, just to rule them out.

And of course, if there is a fault in your wiring/with your phone cable, wiping the system won't make any difference at all.

Edited by Neil Jones, 25 November 2005 - 06:12 PM.