Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

two computers on one internet connection

• Please log in to reply

andrew12345

andrew12345

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi im looking to connect two pcs to the internet by attaching a wireless router to my modem . If i do use a wireless router to connect the two pcs will telewest know that i have bought a router and connected two pcs to the internet? and if so will they try to charge me more? thanks

Advertisements

andrew12345

andrew12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
http://s61.yousendit...MJ3IGBIFP1QF1FD

Thats a diagram of what i want to do if it helps....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
theoretically no....because the router will be translating all internal ip addresses into the public ip from telewest...i know that it sound's like a bad idea...but i would call telewest to be sure...because each ISP has different rules...and if some day..you need one of their techs in your house...and you forget to break down the network...you could get charged alot more than if you just call them before hand

jeff1234

jeff1234

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is this for your personal use or a business? I don't know anything about telewest, but, If you pay for a service and do not exceed the limits of that service. By using more bandwidth than you are paying for. Then it should not matter how many computers you have connected.

It might be a good idea to ask them. But I probably wouldn't.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hi im looking to connect two pcs to the internet by attaching a wireless router to my modem . If i do use a wireless router to connect the two pcs will telewest know that i have bought a router and connected two pcs to the internet? and if so will they try to charge me more? thanks

Most ISPs, which would include Telewest, really don't care HOW you connect to them as long as you connect to them, and most ISPs also don't specifically disallow connection sharing (for home users anyway) BUT won't help you in that area.

You need a wireless DSL router (NOT "ADSL" as that's for BT lines) and some wireless cards. Plus your profile says you're on Windows 95, this OS may need some adjustments to get it to talk to the router.

andrew12345

andrew12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
oops im not actually on windows 95 im on windows xp, thanks for the advice :tazz:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Oh well in that case just plug your XP into the router when you get it and it'll talk to it automatically.