Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big Problem When starting Up Computer

• Please log in to reply

THFC

THFC

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody could help diagnose/suggest any fixes for a problem with one of my friends computers,

He is unable to post so I am doing this on his behalf.

The problem has recently occured, and prevents the computer loading, it stays on a black screen with white colour worded computer jargon, if you press any button it does nothing, however upon starting up (providing you are quick) you can press 'delete' at a certain moment and go into an advanced system configuation menu with a blue screen, there are many (roughly 8) options here all relating to settings/configuration. Apart from that there is nothing that can be done, it just simply will not load and makes a strange noise upon start up.

Is there anything which can be done to resolve this or should he :tazz:

Thanks in advance for any help,

THFC

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the strange noise is...?

It sounds like a failing drive, but let's try a chkdsk first. Do you have a windows xp cd?

Boot with the Windows cd in the drive and when the setup routine starts, choose Repair using recovery console.

When you get to the > prompt, type chkdsk /r
<enter>

say yes to any questions and reboot.

THFC

THFC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I will mention this to him, thanks alot for your help, I will keep you informed should there be any other issues, great site

THFC