Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help! XP issues!

• Please log in to reply

timothyb89

timothyb89

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My Win XP Pro computer is having some, well, issues.
See for yourself:
Posted Image
System Restore: "System Restore is unable to protect your compter"
HP System Recovery: Well, if there is an important file, it's missing.

The taskbar is not coming up, and there are so many things, like not enough ram for anything, that make the computer unusable.
The computer is an HP Media Center PC m495c.
Does anyone know what I can do for free, and without reinstalling Windows?

Also, just know that I don't have a Win. XP cd, other than the ones you can burn with HP's software that don't work.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
first things first...what was going on when all this started?

Have you checked yourself as malware free?

timothyb89

timothyb89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well, the computer is not really able to do that without some sort of bootdisk that scas for viruses. Does anybody know of one?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi timothyb89...

The only thing I can think of right off hand is to download Avast from the machine you are on now, burn it to a cd, install it on the bad machine, configure it to run on boot (you can do that with Avast), and reboot the machine.

You'll have to sit there while it boots...follow the Avast recommendation for each thing it finds whether it is to Delete the item or moe it to Quarantine (Move to Chest).

Let us know how it goes.

wannabe1

timoithyb891

timoithyb891

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hmm....

Could you tell me how to get Avast to run on boot? I already have it installed.. Don't think that'll help much...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you are using the "skin" interface, click the arrow in the upper left corner and choose "Schedule Boot-Time Scan" from the menu (about half way down).

wannabe1

timoithyb891

timoithyb891

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok...

Thx.
I'll try that and see what happens

timothyb89

timothyb89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I ended up taking the computer to teh shop. Hdd was reformatted. To late for any help now. Sorry. :tazz: