Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 98 upgrade to 98 ME

• Please log in to reply

powerkord

powerkord

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Compaq Presario 5345 desktop system. I was in the last stage of upgrading from windows 98 to Windows 98 ME when i had to leave the computer. When I came back the computer was locked up. I shut down the computer and when it reboots it comes to a screen that says windows 98 ME and will not proceed any further. I rebooted the computer in safe mode and tried to change the video display (someone told me it might be a video resoultion issue) but it would not let me in safe mode. Any help to get this computer operating will be a big help.

Edited by powerkord, 23 November 2005 - 05:08 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First a question. Is the 98SE disk an upgrade disk or does it say "for computers without windows"? If it's an upgrade disk it should normally have worked, and you have to have some kind of operating system installed for it to work. If it's the latter, you will have to wipe the drive, that is, format it before you can install win98SE.

Also, by any chance did you have the foresight to make a boot disk before you started this. It can be very handy. If you didn't you can go to www.allbootdisks.com and make one for 98SE, make it with ramdrive. Note that the cd-rom drive letter is R: for their disks.

powerkord

powerkord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tyger,

The software i used was an windows 98 ME upgrade version. When i make a boot disk what will I need to do? I'm pretty rusty on my DOS knowledge.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
OK, I gotta get technical here. There's no such thing as windows 98 ME. There's win98, win98SE and windows ME.

So you're doing an upgrade to ME. It should have worked. Did it ask for the product key yet? It should be included with the upgrade disk.

As for making a boot disk, just follow the instuctions they have on the link I gave you. I can't explain it any better than they can. You can still use a 98SE disk for this, an ME disk doesn't have the format function on it.

What I highly reccomend for anyone installing on older machines is that they run a thorough scandisk in ms-dos mode before doing anything else, to find and repair any problelms on the hard drive. You can use the boot disk to get into ms-dos mode, then just type scandisk and hit Enter to start it. Then you can reboot the computer and see if it works.

If all else fails, you may have to format the drive, again you can use the boot disk for that, reinstall win98 and then reinstall winME on top of that. You will need the product key for win98 and the one for winME to do it.

powerkord

powerkord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tyger,

I ran scandisk and everything was okay, but windows ME still would not run. I used the bootdisk to enable me to setup windows ME again and it still just sits there at that Windows ME screen. I do not have my data backed up on this hard drive so formatting is not an option at this time. Any more ideas on how i can get ME to run?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Boy, there's nothing worse than a failed upgrade. If you have data, not programs, which you need to back up, take the disk out, set it to slave and put it in another machine, it can have win98, winME or XP, they can all see the files, and copy your files over. The jumper settings are usually written on the disk. Then you won't have to worry about losing your files. Then change the jumper back and put it in the old machine.

After that you can try rerunning the ME upgrade disk and see if you can do a repair or reinstall. If that doesn't work you may just have to wipe the disk, put in win98 or 95, then install the winME upgrade.