Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Architecture?

• Please log in to reply

StrayBullet

StrayBullet

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Right have seen knoppix and love it now and am seeing distros of linux on my mates pc.

I want to install debian or other distro but leaning to debain at the mo.

Just want to know what Architecture is? Is it something to do with the mobo chipset?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
I personally like Mandrake (now Mandriva or something). It seems to work well and recognize most of the hardware.

I am not sure in what sense you are asking about architecture, but in general it is the type of the machine, such as the generic PC with X86 processor. There is also the various Apple PC with different processors and then machines like Sun, SGI, IBM, the Alpha processor from D.E.C. (now owned by HP by way of Compaq).

What exactly is your question? I assume you have a PC with one of the typical processors from AMD or Intel, which operate basically the same and in general are compatible.

The Architect

The Architect

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I agree with Kemasa - Mandriva (used to be Mandrake) is an excellent Linux distro - if it works on the ancient machine I have it running on (no WAY I was gonna dual boot, but the funds are limited! :tazz:) then it'll likely run on anything! I'm running version 10.2 - came in a three disk install pack as part of a magazine all the way from the UK ("all the way" being to Canada!!)

It looks like your question about Architecture has been triggered by the hardware requirements listed by your linux distro - ??