Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Tray Icon

• Please log in to reply

PSD

PSD

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I finally installed SP 2 into my XP system and a few other "custom" options. I don't know if this could be the cause.
My problem is that the system tray shows the loaded tasks icons when not connected to the network (I unplug the ethernet cable) and when connected, the only icon displayed is the network connection icon.
I have Antivir, NetPatrol, & Norton Password Manager running at startup and they show up when not network connected.
The round thingy that allows you to expand the tray is not displayed anymore.
The following processes are NOT running when network connected - fxssvc.exe, wuauclt.exe, sgtray.exe.

And lastly - My computer only has 128MB of memory. Could this be part of the problem? :tazz:

Thank you,
- Pat

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Increasing the memory will be a good move here, post back if you are not sure which type to get

PSD

PSD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's a Dell Dimension 2400. The manual says I need PC2700 (333 Mhz) DDR SDRAM (non-EEC) memory. Max capacity is 1G. Any special brand of memory to consider (or avoid)? - Pat

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then DMI then memory controller, this will show the number of slots and maximum size

Corsair Memory is good, expensive and reliable

If you add them in sticks which are the maximimum module size then you have options to add more depending on the use of the PC

Image and video editing prefer large amounts of memory

I have 2GB Ram memory and occasionally cannot save images because there is not enough memory

Crucial is a good place to buy as they guarantee the memory they supply, and also to work in your PC

http://www.crucial.com/

As they do guarantee the memory you can opt for cheaper memory than corsair