Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The naughty AVI format!

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Family, I've got two questions regarding video today.

I have huge issue playing AVI files, especially the ones that are over 100MB. The sound goes way faster than the vision then the one I was playing today ended up with an extra 15 minutes of visual after the sound finished. The process bar reached the end the same time when sound finished but the vision still went on in a slow motion.

I've tried updated my audio and video drivers and playing the big AVI files with Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, and VLC player (all the latest versions) but still no luck. Could someone plz help?

I've got several AVI files now and to save the space on my computer I'm thinking of burning them onto disks. But then I suddenly thought since I've got a DVD burner I could burn them onto a DVD movie disk maybe? If it's possible, what's the best way to do it then? I've got this application called WinAVI that converts video formats, but I think it'll be just too slow to convert all the AVIs into DVD format first and then burn them onto a blank DVD as datas... Anyways, some thoughts on that plz.

Cheers

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The problem is that there is no ONE avi format, .avi is a wrapper for many different formats with many different and incompatible codecs. You can download a little application called GSpot to tell you exactly what codecs are needed and whether you have them on your machine.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Tyger, thanx for the speedy reply. GSpot, smart little thing isn't it. Okay so my file this afternoon wasn't supported but now it's my OS's fault now? Should I try those two suggested codecs anyway? Where can I get them? For the files GSpot totally approves they're still kinda jumpy though... mmm

Thanx

[attachment=4911:attachment]
[attachment=4912:attachment]

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I installed FFDSHOW latest version as it says it's got the required codec H264/x264 ITU H.26n

But it's still not working :tazz: Anyone help plz?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm not really aquainted with that particular codec, possibly my good fortune. Anyway, I notice it's a 4CC codec, so look for 4CC codecs and you may find it. Also, if you have it, it may not be in the right folder for the player.

Edited by Tyger, 24 November 2005 - 01:19 PM.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I did install FFDSHOW into a different location (my storage rather than C: where my WMP is). Does that make it... not having the codec in the right place? How do I check? Thanx

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
As far as I know, the codecs WMP uses are all in the C:\windows\system32 folder, so you might try copying that particular codec to your system32 folder. If it works for that particular clip and codec you can try that with others.

Edited by Tyger, 26 November 2005 - 09:23 PM.