Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Word smooth font automatically, How to change back?

• Please log in to reply

akesayyo

akesayyo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I use MS Word Pro 2003. Yesterday everything was good, and today I have to type my report, but my Word smooth my document which uses time new roman font. I tried to reinstall Word, but it didn't work. Notepad and other programs of MS Office are fine. How can I change font back to un-smooth type? PS. I 've attached comparison picture which compares time new roman font in notepad and MS Word.

Photo: http://img501.images...untitled8ab.png

Attached Files

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Word, click format then font to see what you can change there, click apply or default if you want the change to be permanent, click apply

akesayyo

akesayyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for solution. I tried it, but it doesn't work..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try renaming normal.dot which is responsible for loading how the format of a document appears

1. Quit all instances of Word, including WordMail.
2. On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to Find, and click Files or Folders.
3. In the Named box, type Normal.dot.
4. In the Look In box, select your local hard disk drive (or an alternate user template location if you are running Word from a network server).
5. Click Find Now to search for the file.
6. For each occurrence of Normal.dot that appears in the Find dialog box, right-click the file. Click Rename on the shortcut menu. Give the file a new name, such as OldNormal.dot or Normal-1.dot.
7. Minimize the find dialog box.
8. Restart your automation client to start Word.

When you have done this open word then press format then font then set up the font, click default, click apply

akesayyo

akesayyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you again. It doesn't work. Maybe I have to uninstall it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you do remove it then use windows installer clean up after using add / remove, be careful to make sure you have click office

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

scroll down for the link

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, click to confirm delete of all files

When you re-install, choose complete and leave the installation files on, run microsoft update

akesayyo

akesayyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Too bad, It doesn't work. I tried everything you guided. Word still smooths text automatically. I tried other word processor, OpenOffice Writer, Wordpad, etc, and they work fine.