Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need to upgrade video card to play cod2

• Please log in to reply

jay75

jay75

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Im sorry but i am really confused, i know i have to upgrade and get a better video card to run my call of duty game but i dont know if i can or not? i was told i dont have an agp slot on this machine i have 3 pci slots. can anyone tell me what that means? can i add a video card to the pci slot? i have never heard of pci slots, im very anxious to get this video card and upgrade so i can play the game but i just dont know if they make them for computers with pci slots? Im at a loss right now, any help would greatly apreciated! I dont even know where the pci slots are located or what to even look for? thanks for your help,
SO CONFUSED!!
Jay75

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
PCI slots are for adding expansion cards, and you get gfx cards among the cards you can get. However it is unlikely they would be able to play COD2 as they are not very powerful.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ya, regular pci slot video cards are not that fast. The fastest the carry is about a fx5500 or for ati a 9250 with 256 mb.

Those cards are about 6-7 gb/s (gigabytes per second) which is slow for cod2... Those cards would play the game on low settings.

Very slow cards..

Edited by jrm20, 24 November 2005 - 06:59 PM.

Vidi_B

Vidi_B

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Wait a minute. You're saying that there is no point in trying to play COD2 on a computer (in this case an HP m7060n) if my only option for graphics card upgrade is PCI? Shall I just sell my brand spankingly new COD2 disks on ebay? Seems like I just wasted some money....serves me right when I haven't a clue what I am doiNg! Thoughts?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah or take it back to the shop and get something you can play or something else(christmas coming up so you might want to get presents).

Sorry about that, but you can only work with the limitations of the system and upgradablility is often a problem with bought systems from mass builders.