Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

How can I install Win XP?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi, all. Here's my dilema...
I just inhiereted an IBM Netvista PC. It does not have the ability to boot from the CD-ROM drive. How can I install Windows XP (I have it on CD), when I can't boot from that drive? The ROM BIOS doesn't seem to support booting from CD, and if I boot from a floppy, there isn't a "setup" program on the Win XP CD.

Any thoughts?

the WIZ

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi wizinoz

Download the Boot Disk Set for your Operating System from the page in the link. Create the boot disk set (six floppies) and use them to prepare your machine for installation from the cd.

Edited by wannabe1, 24 November 2005 - 12:06 PM.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi wizinoz!

Check out this SITE for how to install XP when your computer doesn't natively support boot from CD-ROM.