Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SERIOUS! data loss happening, PLEASE help

• Please log in to reply

tuscan440

tuscan440

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
OMG i am just friking p!ssed off now i actually want to just kick the crap out of my computer.

i fitted a new hard drvie recently(fitted as a slave drive), it was formatted fine, data transfered fine (like music and pictures) and now any system processes related to the drive just make the computer slow down to an absolute crawl and within 5 mins the computer will have frozen. i transfered all my pics and music to this new drive so i cud re-install windows on the other drive, tried moving it back and my pictures are safe but have only managed to transfer about 1500 of about 3500 songs back to the drive, its already deleted about 500 at will and i am seriously f*cked off because i have spent loads downloading or ripping this music from cd, cd's which i dotn have at uni with me. it is so bad now i cant transfer any more music without it freezing

i put a post on here the other day and was recommended a hard drive checker, that just freezes and so i cant tell what is wrong, my computer is fine until i use any processes associated with thte drive so i know its that, is there anything possible that could be casuing this, that could be resolved without me having to send back the drive??
im hoping its not set up right or may have a software issue cos i REALLY really dont want to lose my music,
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE HELP!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. You could try turning indexing off for a start, see this guide at http://www.geekstogo...51
Next, try running the hd manufacturer's diagnostics program on the drive. Go to http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40
The sticky post at the top has links to most hd manufacturer's diagnostics.

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
no its no good, turning off indexing doesnt work, have done the test as recommended and the short test reveals a fault yet the long test cant even finish it just freezes in the same spot.
will re-formatting do anything or is it totally screwed??

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Does the manufacturer provide any insight to the hd diagnostics short test "fault", possible cause or fix? Hard drives do die, sad but true.

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
no it just recommended running the longer test. im gutted cos ive rekon ive lost 2000 songs now, piece of sh!t for a hard drive, ah man im annoyed. ive written back to the supplier demanding a refund

chers for your help people

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried running the longer test with the drive in another computer.

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
no i havent, thats soemthing i'll try tho as i really dont want to lose my music. will post back when its done