Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAID problems

• Please log in to reply

Mac_Quazi

Mac_Quazi

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

Recently one of my friends bought a new computer, so he asked me to help him install windows xp for him. I thought this would be very easy as I've installed windows 100's of times. I put in the cd and it booted as normal, then when it came to the screen asking me which partition i would like to use, the list came up saying "Unknown Disk" 4 times.

It crashed after this, so I realised that these hard disks were using RAID. I looked inside and saw 2 Seagate barracuda 7200.8 hard disks, both 200GB each. I dont know anything about RAID at all. I tried booting up xp again, this time i pressed F6 during installation to get the RAID setup screen, it then asked me to press "S", so i did. Windows didnt recognise the hard disk and prompted me to insert a disk to install it. The computer didnt come with any disk.

Then I started reading the motherboards user manual and there were instructions telling me how to set the hard disks up. i tried following the instructions but it wouldnt let me go far. the error message came up everytime i selected auto setup or when i selected "Select hard disks". The message was "Error: Hdd not Enough!" I can see both disks highlighted at the bottom, so they should be working fine, its just that I dont know how to set them up.

the motherboard my friend has is MSI 915, thats the most i can remember. Can someone please help.

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A lot depends on this on the type of RAID configuration that's being used.

There are ten types available but only two that are actually used for the home market.

You may need to pop into BIOS/RAID setup and create an array, which will initialise said RAID and then you boot off the CD again and Windows should then only see one huge disk.