Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temporary Fan Noise at Beginning

• Please log in to reply

sw619

sw619

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
This situation didn't start to occur until one day when my computer tipped over a little from my computer desk. It didn't fall over or anything, but it may have shook it a bit.

Since then, when I would start the computer, there would be this loud fan noise. It's like a somewhat loud hum, but you can trace that it may be colliding with something. It makes these rhythmic sounds in addition to the hum as if it is hitting something. The strange thing is that when I leave the computer running for a couple of minutes, the noise stops and goes back to normal.

Any suggestions? I greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Other than opening the case, finding what fan it is, shutting it down and unplugging it, removing whatever is in the fan causing the problem. That's pretty much all anyone can do. You may have to remove the fan to get to it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looking in the case is very easy and if you open it up you will probably see the problem pretty quick, you probably wont have to take of the fan but if you do its also not a big job.

sw619

sw619

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the advice. One thing that still escapes me is why the fan eventually stops that humming noise at one point. The inside of my case is also pretty cramped up, so I'd like to know exactly what I might be looking for. Thanks.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You should check for any cables etc that may come into contact with the fan blade or casing. Also check to see that the fan is securely fastened in place. Case fans usually have 4 small screws, one on each corner. Get a small phillips head screw driver and make sure they are tight. And finally, while looking about inside of the case, make sure it is clean! Also, while working inside the case, practice anti-static discharge precaustions! If you have a grounding wrist strap, use it. If not, just keep yourself grounded to a metal part of the case while you are working in there. Computer chips don't like static electricity!

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Fan Noise
24th Nov-2005

How long does it take to go to normal - Has the Room Temperature become somewhat cooler lately –

Fan Speeds are usually are under Temp control – and when it is cooler – Fans tend to make more noise when at slower speeds – and then as CPU heats up – The fans quiet down at the higher speeds –

Also the jarring could have damaged the bearings and give this symptom/indication – also if it is a desktop with fan in rear – the filter could be pushed into blades of fan or a blade may have a slight crack

Loud Humming Sound is usually attributed to [Starting Torque] – A clicking sound is attributed to [Foreign object in Blades]

Just what is [tipped over a little from my computer desk] mean – how many inches – Was it on its side and fell down – [Just curious] –

Jack123

sw619

sw619

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Fan Noise
24th Nov-2005

How long does it take to go to normal - Has the Room Temperature become somewhat cooler lately –

Fan Speeds are usually are under Temp control – and when it is cooler – Fans tend to make more noise when at slower speeds – and then as CPU heats up – The fans quiet down at the higher speeds –

Also the jarring could have damaged the bearings and give this symptom/indication – also if it is a desktop with fan in rear – the filter could be pushed into blades of fan or a blade may have a slight crack

Loud Humming Sound is usually attributed to [Starting Torque] – A clicking sound is attributed to [Foreign object in Blades]

Just what is [tipped over a little from my computer desk] mean – how many inches – Was it on its side and fell down – [Just curious] –

Jack123

First, I would like to thank you and everybody for taking the time to help me out.

To answer your questions in order:
- To go back to normal, I didn't keep track of the time since I woke up not ten minutes before I turned on my computer, but I would estimate it to be about... maybe five minutes. It could be less or more.

- No, the room temperature has pretty much been the same for the past month. The incident didn't start happening until a couple of days ago.

- It didn't fall down. It wasn't much of a big deal. Facing the computer, you'd say it tipped to its left just a little bit. I'd say about a fourth to half a centimeter. It's nothing major, but I said it simply because it may have been a variable. The way it happened is like this:

My computer stands on four stubs that are about half a centimeter tall. These stubs that are located on the four corners at the bottom of my case support the computer. When I turned the computer to plug in something into the USB drive located at the back of the computer, two of the stubs tipped over off of the desk. The computer didn't fall over or anything because the computer was about.. an inch and a half over the end, which is what caused the stubs to leave the desk and the computer to slightly dip and hit the edge a bit. Like I said, it's not a big deal, but it may have been a variable because it did impact slightly.

On another note, my computer has been running since this morning. It's been about eleven hours since I started it up and got past the humming sound. Nothing went wrong, so I don't think it's much of a concern. Of course, I have had bad experiences with this computer in the past, so I am pessimistic about the subject of my computer. That's why I wanted to run it by you guys first.

Edited by sw619, 25 November 2005 - 01:57 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Fan Noise -#2
25th Nov-2005

Ok – Do you have Temp Monitor Utility installed on PC – so that you can monitor CPU Temperature & Case Temperature – This is just a method to determine if you have Cooling Problem –

If not Download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] – and then run program – Open the [Sensors] Folder & view your PC Temperatures & Fan Speeds - http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Here is a Link for [ANTEC] about [Cooling] - http://www.antec.com...IYArticle3.html

Just some info on PC Cooling – Just presenting some info on Fan Speeds – So you can make determination whether a problem exists or not –

Jack123

sw619

sw619

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Fan Noise -#2
25th Nov-2005

Ok – Do you have Temp Monitor Utility installed on PC – so that you can monitor CPU Temperature & Case Temperature – This is just a method to determine if you have Cooling Problem –

If not Download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] – and then run program – Open the [Sensors] Folder & view your PC Temperatures & Fan Speeds - http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1〈=en

Here is a Link for [ANTEC] about [Cooling] - http://www.antec.com...IYArticle3.html

Just some info on PC Cooling – Just presenting some info on Fan Speeds – So you can make determination whether a problem exists or not –

Jack123

Thanks for the useful tool and article.

The cooling fan for my CPU is running at roughly 5100-5300 RPM. This is the normal? Also, the temperature of the motherboard is 30 degrees celcius (88 degrees Fahrenheit). The program didn't give me a speed for any other fan.

Now, I tried something today. I turned on my computer and timed how long it took for the fan to start spinning normally. It took about three minutes. I opened the case and determined what was causing the noise. It seems very likely that the power supply fan is producing the noise. I didn't see any foreign object in there interrupting the revolution of the blades. I also took a flashlight and observed the blades as they spun during the time that they were producing that noise. They seemed to be spinning slower and then faster when they went back to normal.

Perhaps the fan is just dirty?

Can you make any assumptions based upon this information? Do I have a serious problem?

Edited by sw619, 25 November 2005 - 03:19 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Fan Noise -#3
25th Nov-2005

CPU Temp is [Good] – Fan speed is high – but that is just me – Not knowing [Size] – [MFG] – I should not comment – Power Supply Fan/s are usually [Temperature Controlled] also – depending on Manufacturer & size – How old is PC – Did the inside appear dusty – Probably not if CPU was at 30 degrees C – Did [EVEREST] give you [Motherboard Temp] –

From what you posted – It looks good to me – Just not being there to listen & not having previous sound data – It is not comfortable to give opinions – If the PC is in a more open spot than previous location & allowed to breathe more – That would effectively lower ambient temperature –

I am in Mid-Atlantic States & my PC fans start lower now – than in the summer months & has a louder startup noise than before – Plus my CPU Temp is several degrees cooler – which may be an indication that my cooling is not as efficient as could be – [Just by the Temp Data] – I would think the fans should have enough cooling capacity to keep CPU relatively the same temperature – [If Efficient] – [Again that is just me]

Just keep an eye on Temp – any significant rise – would be an early sign of problem – Generally [Dust build up] – clogging [Fan Operation] – All major components have [Over temperature Shutdown Circuitry] for protection – So just get to know [Normal Operation] of PC - And you can ward off potential problems –

Good Luck –
Jack123

Advertisements

sw619

sw619

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
You may have gotten the temperatures confused. I said the motherboard temp was around 30 (more specifically 34-35 now that I look at it again) degrees C. It isn't really giving me a CPU temp, but it shows it from time to time. EVEREST gives me very sporadic readings of the CPU power, usually in the 50-70 degrees C range. It's hard to judge exactly how accurate it is.

Another thing that I am unfamiliar with is this "Aux" temperature. It also gives me very sporadicreadings around 50-70, but I have no idea what this represents.

Edited by sw619, 25 November 2005 - 04:24 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Fan Noise -#3
25th Nov-2005

Yes – You gave me CPU Fan Speed & Motherboard Temperature – I did get confused –

Your CPU Temp is not correct:
1- It should be a stable [Averaged Reading] –
2- Not jumping around –
3- Should be between [35 – 45 degrees C] – Maybe 50 Degrees C
4- Definitely – Not 70 degrees C

1- Temperature Diode could have been damaged in the [Jarring]
2- CPU Fan could have been damaged
3- CPU Fan Connector could have been loosened

I see you are on Line – Now - Your PC – what is Everest reading Now – How are Voltages – I will give instructions on Posting Report Next –
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 25 November 2005 - 07:27 PM.

sw619

sw619

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
Motherboard Name ECS KT600-A

Temperatures:
Motherboard 35 °C (95 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 5273 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.50 V
+2.5 V 2.59 V
+5 V Standby 4.52 V
Debug Info F 20 FF FF
Debug Info T 127 35 127
Debug Info V 5E A2 43 00 00 00 00 (43)

I'll give you the rest of the specs of my computer from Everest if you need them.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Fan Noise -#4
25th Nov-2005

Instructions to Attach 5 [HTML Quick Reports] to a Post

Report-1: [SW619-Summary-1]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] > On pop down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [SW619-Summary-1] & attach to POST

Report-2: [SW619-Sensors-1]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [Sernsors] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] > On pop down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Sensors] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [SW619-Sensors-1] & attach to POST

Report –3: [SW619-Mobo-1]

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [SW619-Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –4: [SW619-CPU-1]

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [CPU] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-CPU] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [SW619-CPU-1] & attach to POST

Report –5 :[ SW619 -Devices-1]