Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pinnacle Studio 9 questions

• Please log in to reply

graylady48

graylady48

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
Newbie here.
I just got a Canon Elura 92 minidv camcorder and have installed Pinnacle Studio 9 on my computer. My plan is to capture, edit and burn to DVD's to view on my dvd player for tv.
It was smooth sailing for awhile, but questions have come up.
1) Is it best to fill up the camcorder tape and then capture and burn to dvd all in one lump, or can I capture in increments, edit, burn and add to dvd as go along?
2) If I want to burn a DVD to view on my dvd player, do I burn a videodvd or just dvd?

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi,

For Qu 1. It's really up to you and what project your doing, often i like to capture everything at once, edit it, then make it into a DVD and its done. But there is nothing wrong with filming a bit, capture that bit, edit that bit, then film another bit, capture it, edit it, but you might find it is quicker to film it all, capture it all, edit it all. Another thing is that if you fill up the DV tape with footage you dont have to capture the entire tape, just capture the bits you want, that way you will save hard drive space.

For Qu 2. Im not sure if Pinnacle Stuio 9 makes the video into a DVD, i think it does, im not sure where you get the terms videodvd and dvd from, if you mean data dvd when you say "dvd" then you would want to go videodvd for it to work in dvd payer. Once you burn the video files as a video DVD you cant add other video files to that dvd later.

I often recomend "Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2, 3 or 4" to new users, as its a great and simple to use program to makes DVD's. Just make sure you export an uncompressed dv format AVI file from pinnacle and import that file into DVD Movie Factory.

Get it from www.download.com - type in ulead dvd movie factory

Hope this answers your quesitons, if not get back to me!

Edited by st22, 24 November 2005 - 03:50 PM.

Jayzeee

Jayzeee

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

2) If I want to burn a DVD to view on my dvd player, do I burn a videodvd or just dvd?

Do you mean VCD (Video CD). I personally would go for DVD. Not all DVD players will support VCD, and with DVD you are going to get better results. Take a look here for a comparison

Im not sure if Pinnacle Stuio 9 makes the video into a DVD

Pinnacle 8 does, so I'm fairly sure that 9 does too :tazz:

graylady48

graylady48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
st22 and Jayzeee-

Thanks.
I guess I can't capture, edit and burn in increments if I can't add to the dvd, so that question is answered. I just thought that waiting until I had more video on the tape, like 45 minutes, it would take a long time to do the capture, edit and final burning. And then, it wouldn't fill the dvd. However, your way sounds better.
Yes, Pinnacle 9 does burn to dvd, so I'll likely try that out when I get enough movie. I bookmarked your link also.

I was sure I saw the term 'videodvd' being used under 'help' in Pinnacle. As I can't find it again, I have to assume it was probably videoCD I saw. Of course I will go for a dvd then.

thanks again