Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Battery

• Please log in to reply

I love my vans

I love my vans

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi people

I have a Compaq m2010ea

The batter is currently at 99%, but has only 30 mins of life left :S

How can i improv this, or is it fried?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How old is the battery?

Usually batteries will only last so long and what normally happens is they gradually lose their holding charge with every recharging giving to them. This is a normal process with rechargable batteries, unfortunately.

Eventually a point will come where its not worth charging the battery because it doesn't last any longer than it took to charge to full capacity. Your best bet is to research a new one, either that or run it permanently on the power pack.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Try tweaking the power management settings. As with any laptop, these will dictate how long the battery power lasts for. Most laptops come with utilities for managing this & adjusting performance & power settings, e.g lowering the screen brightness, slowing the CPU performance (Intel's speed stepping technology), as well as the time out periods for standby/sleep/hibernation etc.

If after all of that, the battery still only lasts 30 mins, then its probably worn out.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm with neil on this one..if it's an old battery (like a few years old)...it's probably on it's way out....batteries (all batteries) have a memory...basically if you charge it before it's completely empty...it loses some of it's total capacity...and since laptops are often plugged in...they lose that memory pretty regularly....though...this issue...doesn't fully explay why the battery claims it's at 99%

I love my vans

I love my vans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
It is only like 8 months old, if that?