Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my PSU dead?

• Please log in to reply

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Im posting this thread for my friend who thinks his psu is dead.

I just put in some new fans, redid my power wiring and IDE wiring. I tried to start the computer. I got to post and everything is working fine and the computer just shuts off by itself about 15 seconds into the post.

I unhooked the fans and optional things like fan controllers and left the essentials in. The same deal, except it got about 20 seconds into the post.

I think his psu is dead or dying, but im not sure.

thanks

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

seeing as you were working inside the pc I would first reseat everthing like ide cables, ram and any cards.

Make sure the cpu can connecter is on the correct header on the motherboard and is tight, this is the most likely suspect so make sure.

Make sure the heatsink is not loose and the fan is spinning.

If nogo post back.

Rick

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Hi,

seeing as you were working inside the pc I would first reseat everthing like ide cables, ram and any cards.

Make sure the cpu can connecter is on the correct header on the motherboard and is tight, this is the most likely suspect so make sure.

Make sure the heatsink is not loose and the fan is spinning.

If nogo post back.

Rick

ok reseated everything. nothing. and now, i get even less time between power up and the crash, so I'm pretty sure its the psu.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am not so sure its the psu, will the computer boot into bios and idle for 15 minutes? if so report the temps and voltages from there so we can have a look.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

I am not so sure its the psu, will the computer boot into bios and idle for 15 minutes? if so report the temps and voltages from there so we can have a look.

nope, it shuts off before i can get a bios screen

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Can't do any harm to hang another power supply off it just to check.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If you are sure the cpu fan is spinning and connected to the correct header on the mobo then it could very well be the psu and you should try another one

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
fixed it. sort of.

the cpu fan wasn't making good contact, as we had just put some AS5 on it. well both of the retaining clips on his factory intel cooler snapped off so we tied it down with paper clips. yeah paper clips. so now we know it wasnt the psu. He has a new cpu cooler on the way. thanks for the help.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yep thats the problem remember back in post #2 I said about checking to make sure the HS is not loose in any way.

I didn't think it was the psu.

Rick