Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can anyone assist me here?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
You are running Norton and AVG antivirus programs. You should only run one antivirus program at a time. Please uninstall one of them.

I don't see any more signs of malware in your log for now, so let's move on and try a few things to resolve your main issue.

Did you run SFC with the disc from your laptop?

Go to this site and run Verisign's browser check.
http://www.verisign....isor/check.html

Let me know what it says.

Advertisements

Test_Eagles

Test_Eagles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It says the browser is fine, requires no upgrade, supports strong encryption, and has a high level of security. I got a big blue tick for all three other categories.

I will Uninstall AVG if you want, but remember Im having this problem with NOrton permanentally disabling itself and ignoring me when I click enable, so thats why I downloaded AVG. Norton has gone AWOL and dosn't seem to want to come back. So I decided AVG would be useful in the meantime, otherwise i ahve no virus protector.

SFC is the next thing I do.

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• 10,019 posts
So just keep AVG and uninstall Norton. I recommend AVG over Norton anyways. Your computer will run much better without Norton.

Let me know if anything changes after run SFC.

Test_Eagles

Test_Eagles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Couldn't do the SFC :tazz:. The comp didnt like the Laptop CD, I realised its was SP1 and not SP2, and its got COMPAQ written all over it, and this one aint a COMPAQ. Not sure if that matters, but it rejected the CD anyhow.

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• 10,019 posts
You've got some corruption there, so you'll need to get a Windows XP disc at some point. If you contact the manufacturer of your computer they should send you one if you request it.

In the meantime, there are a few other things we can check. Try these one at a time and see if any of them resolve your problem.

Are you using a firewall? If so, make sure that the SSL port (port 443) is open.
If you are using Norton firewall, you may want to uninstall it to see if that resolves your problem.

Clear the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) slate and AutoComplete history: Open IE and to to Tools -> Internet Options -> Content tab. Under Certificates, click Clear SSL State. Click OK when you receive the message that the SSL cache was successfully cleared. Under Personal information, click AutoComplete. Under Clear AutoComplete history, click Clear Forms. Click OK when you are prompted to confirm the operation.

Click Start -> Run, enter regsvr32 softpub.dll and wait for the OK message.

Verify that the Date and Time Settings on Your Computer Are Correct: Because SSL certificates have an expiry date, if the date on your computer isn't correct, it may prevent you from connecting to secure sites.

Let me know how it goes.

Test_Eagles

Test_Eagles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Darn still no Cigar yet. We're trying to get a windows CD. The only thing I havn't done is uninstall the useless Norton firewall. Id love to reinstall it and see if it will start working again but the program dosn't appear to have a reinstall wizard, and if we delete it we can't get it back without paying a hefty price. I checked Norton website and theres no free downloads there.

I cant enable it "Restricted accounts are not allowed to enable or block traffic", and I can't go to the options "You dont have the authorisation to view this menu".

Edited by Test_Eagles, 02 December 2005 - 06:52 PM.

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• 10,019 posts
Was Norton preinstalled on the computer? If so, you should have been provided with a disc containing those preinstalled programs that you use to reinstall Norton if you need to.

Otherwise, we are kind of at the limit of what we can do.

Test_Eagles

Test_Eagles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
"Should have" being the key word :tazz:. Nah we definetly weren't, but after reading through the manual in the last couple of days we did find the line. "Please make sure you make a backup CD for windows before you need one"

Guess we should read the manual before the computer goes bust.

Ok so it sounds like we've gone bust. If the system file checker dosn't work, you reccomend we take it to a professional?

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• 10,019 posts
Here are your options as I see them for resolving this issue.

First, visit Windows Update and download any updates that are found for your computer.

Uninstall Norton.

You can perform SFC with any Windows XP installation disc. But it has to be the installation disc, not the recovery disc. If you can't obtain one from your computer's manufacterer, see if you can borrow one from someone else.

With that same disc you can perform a repair installation of Windows XP. More info can be found here.
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Start a thread at the Internet & Browser forum and let the experts there have a crack it at. :tazz:
http://www.geekstogo...owsers-f26.html

Test_Eagles

Test_Eagles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok. Thanks for all the help and time you've put in :tazz:

Advertisements