Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power up problems

• Please log in to reply

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hope ya'll can help me.
I just recieved, for free, a Dell Dimension 4500. I was told it wouldn't start up so I assumed it was a problem with Windows XP. Turns out when I plug it in and hit the power button the comp does nothing. I opened up the tower and there is a hum in the power box (correct term?) and a green light on what I believe is the mother board. What could be causing this? I searched the forums but came up with nothing, although I'm sure I'm not the first to have this problem. Is it a cruddy power switch? If so, how do I pull off the front face plate without messing anyhting up?
I'm not sure what other info you need from me. Please help, I'd love to get a working PC on the cheap so I don't need to use my notebook for everything.
confused in MN. :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The green light on the motherboard is an indication that it is receiving power from the power supply, the big grey box top back of the case.

Find another power supply to plug into it and that should sort the problem out. You don't need to take the front panel off, rather unscrew the grey box top back and slide it out, unplug everything its plugged into and put a new one in and then see if it boots before you screw it back in.

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok, um, do you mean I need to buy a new power box for the comp or could I test it with the one that's in my lady's Gateway tower? I thought I've heard that the power supply is sort of set differently for each system. Also, since I do have power to the mother board wouldn't that mean that it's not a problem with the power box? obviously I know just enough about these things to get by. Everything I do is a learning experience. Thanks for trying to help by the way.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

ok, um, do you mean I need to buy a new power box for the comp or could I test it with the one that's in my lady's Gateway tower? I thought I've heard that the power supply is sort of set differently for each system. Also, since I do have power to the mother board wouldn't that mean that it's not a problem with the power box? obviously I know just enough about these things to get by. Everything I do is a learning experience. Thanks for trying to help by the way.

Yeah, the power supplies for Dells can be wired differently. Dell actually supplies the connector information, so if you're savvy enough you can compare it to a standard ATX, or whatever it's like, and make changes to the PSU. If you have a voltmeter you can read the +12v and +5v from any of the connectors that have black, red and yellow wires going to them.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it sounds alot like the power switch might be in a not so good state of existance...unfortunately there isn't an easy test for this one...but...we can try a few things..... if you can....try opening up the gateway..and locating the wires coming from the front power switch to the motherboard...there should be a bundle of wires going to the motherboard from the fron....locate whcih ones are coming from the switch (usually a red and black wire with a black connector on the end)...unplug that connector only from the motherboard...and see if you can connect it to the two pins on the dell where it's power switch connects then press the power button on the dell and see if it turns on...(do all of this internal stuff with both machines off of course)....you could also...in theory... take the power switch connecter off of the mobo on the dell...and jump the two pins with a paper clicp...or wire..for a second...this will simulate the power switch being connected....thoug...i've never tried this..and it may not work