Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RootKit Infection

• Please log in to reply

Youdamnskippy

Youdamnskippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Defrag will run, it just won't defrag anything. It takes a very long time to get from compacting to saying it's finished and even then there is no change in the number of fragmented files. The before and after windows that show the activity by displaying bars of red and blue remain the same. It just says in the report that not all files could be defragmented (a bit of an understatement in that none were defragmented). :tazz:

Advertisements

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
Are there a few large files that are fragmented, or is it more broadly distributed? You might try a trial of a third-party defragmentation tool like Diskeeper:
http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp

Youdamnskippy

Youdamnskippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
There are a few very large blocks of red and also a ton of thinner ones. That explains why this computer is still running so slow and freezing up all the time.

I downloaded the diskeeper program but cannot get it to finish installing.
I continue to get an error message that says, "Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\DfrgSnapin.DfrgSnapin.1\CLSID. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Their website states that if Error 1402 is displaying I need to verify that I am using the latest download through the help menu of the program. It appears that the latest version is not the one available to download free but since I can't access anything in the program because it won't download, I am unable to update to the latest version.

The weird thing is, I downloaded the same program on another computer in our house (it has not had any problems - knock on wood) and it installed and worked just fine.

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
Are you running as a user with administrative rights?

Youdamnskippy

Youdamnskippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yes, I am.

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
Let's try rebuilding system files. Please go to Start -> Run -> cmd and press Enter. At the command prompt type sfc /scannow, making sure to put a space between the "c" and the slash, and then press Enter. This will run the System File Checker. Follow the prompts, and insert your Windows installation CD if requested. Then please restart your computer. Try to defragment again --- same thing?

Youdamnskippy

Youdamnskippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yes, same thing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If s/he has an XP cd handy, have him boot into the recovery console and at the command prompt type chkdsk /p /r. This will do a very thorough scan of all the files on the computer and repair/fix anything that is corrupted. If s/he doesn't have an XP cd, the Recovery Console can be downloaded from HERE. If s/he isn't able to burn an ISO image to a CD, they can check out this SITE for how to install the Recovery Console without the XP CD.

if you do have your xp cd (which i hope you do)...to get to the recovery console...b0ot from the cd (enter your bios setup by either pessing del or f2 during post and set the boot order to cd first...then save the changes...when it prompts you...press the any key to boot from the cd) once the setup dialog starts..choose the R option..this will bring up the recovery console....where you can issue the chkdsk command...this will do a physical and logical scan of your disk...and repair any errors it finds.

now boot into windows and see if you can defrag

(i went ahead and posted the quote from fenor from a request for help...since he isn't on right now and i am i figured you'd like the info)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Download and run Diskeeper Lite

http://www.majorgeek...Lite_d1207.html

Run it a couple of times then try XP Defragmenter

Youdamnskippy

Youdamnskippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry - still no success with XP defrag.

Keith: Thanks for the suggestions but they've already been tried (see some earlier threads and posts from when the problem first began). In fact I recently posted how diskeeper will download but stops the installation process when it gets to "Registering program identifiers". I did however go through your steps again - just in case.

dsenette: I followed your instructions using my XP disc and the only noticeable change was that it took even longer to get through the analyzing and then defragging process (but still without eliminating any red/fragmented files).

If this is a lost cause just let me know.
Thanks again to everyone who has tried to figure this out.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It was a different disk defragmenter, did you get the same problem with installing it

Youdamnskippy

Youdamnskippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry about that Keith.
Yes, I went ahead and did the Tune Up steps again before trying to run the dklite but it stopped at the same point with the same error message. I don't know if this matters, but I got a message when installing that said the files were already on my computer and asked if I wanted to overwrite them. I said yes but as you know it didn't make any difference.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Windows defrag program works well but it takes a lots of time and your computer gets busy for atleast 3-4 hours.

No need to worry...

SpeeDefrag will take all pain for you...

This program restarts your pc and runs defrag program only which optimizes defragmentation speed and also it automatically shutdown your pc after completion...

So just before going to bed switch it on and in the morning you'll find your hard disk defraged and pc shutdown...

Its for Win98/Me/Xp Only.

During the install, select Launch SpeeDefrag then leave it overnight, at least it does not need watching

Hopefully this will help because it only loads the defragmenter after the restart

SpeeDefrag 2.1

Youdamnskippy

Youdamnskippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I ran Speedefrag with change in results (other than ending up with even less free space).?
Guess it's time to re-format.