Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Hard Drive problem

• Please log in to reply

bandit25

bandit25

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi:

Just swapped my dying 40GB Hard Drive for an 80GB Western Digital. I used Western Digitals enclosed disk to basically copy all files from old to new drive. Everything went well and I configured the drive so that it was bootable. After I finished, I removed the old drive and swapped it with the new one. I changed the jumper settings to "Primary Drive" and rebooted. Windows loaded, I then clicked on the login screen, heard the familar music of windows xp but computer failed to load my files. All I had was a blank screen with my old screen saver. I then downloaded a compressed bios upgrade from dell and loaded it on new drive, but alas, no change in status. I confirmed the upgrade worked in system setup. The files are loaded on the new drive but don't load, even though xp boots normally. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the old drive has died due to bad sectors, then the files that were on those bad sectors would be corrupt.

Therefore when the WD tool copies them over, it just copies them over as it sees it, regardless of corruption.

I'm assuming its just the user profile that's been corrupt? No worries, reboot into safe mode -> Administrator and make a new one.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Can you describe your system? Motherboard, BIOS, etc.. Are you sure the BIOS is capable of seeing the entire hard drive? If it isn't you can make a bootable floppy from WD that will install drive overlay software, at some risk at this stage. Also, you might want to try the cable select jumper setting.

On the other hand, you may simply need to us the winXP disk and run a repair of Windows.

bandit25

bandit25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you both for your responses and suggestions. The old drive was still functioning when I swapped it, just running extremely slow with a lot of noise. I tried everything I could find to fix (including a complete rewrite) but still had the same problem, so I just bought the new drive. The system bios chip is 4 MB (512K). System specifications are outlinned in the following link:

http://support.dell....ecs.htm#1101572

I will try your recommendations this evening. Appreciate the help and any further advise.

sam