Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop sound suddenly not working

• Please log in to reply

hhsieh

hhsieh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi there, need some help... so i'm using a dell inspiron 8500 laptop that's a few years old now and have never had a problem with the sound. today was like any other, when i started up, sound was working fine, but after getting up for a moment, coming back, and putting my headphones back in, the sound had suddenly cut out and was replaced by low static. the sound's not completely gone...if i crank up the volume really high, i can hear music very faintly amid static, but it's pretty much unlistenable. when i unplug my headphones, i hear the same thing through the laptop's built-in speakers. also, just checked my headphones on an ipod and they sound just fine so they're not the problem. rebooting did nothing besides confirming that the shutdown and startup music did not sound right either, so it's not a problem with my media player either...

so as i was sitting down and this happened, i felt a small static shock which seems to be the most obvious reason for this sudden problem. so my question: is my sound card fried, meaning that i need to replace it? or is there something less (or more) serious going on? (the rest of the laptop seems to be working fine, as far as i can tell)...

thanks,
- h

Advertisements

hhsieh

hhsieh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi again,

okay, so to save y'all the trouble of replying, my sound glitch seems to have been temporary. i still feel that the static electricity spark must have done something bad but fortunately nothing permanent, since shutting down for a few hours and then restarting (as opposed to rebooting right away) seems to have done the trick.

- h