Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer 3.1, I/O error

• Please log in to reply

Classy2

Classy2

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Do I need or I mean does XP need Windows Installer. I never fixed an I/O error. I tried installing it from my desktop and directly from the download. I ran Registry program. Nothing helped.
One site did mention I might have intall the previous windows installer. Can this be true?
Warmly,
Classy

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Open Internet Options>Settings>View objects and delete the version of the installer that is there, and empty the recycle bin. The next time you go to the update site a new version should be installed.

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Tiger Im really happy to mhear from you so soon.
There is no "View Objects" in niether firefox nor explorer.

classy

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Tiger Im really happy to mhear from you so soon.
There is no "View Objects" in niether firefox nor explorer.

classy

Did you open Internet options? You can access it in the Control panel. This is for IE only, as Windows won't use Firefox for updates.

Internet options>Settings>View objects

There should be something called Update Class.

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Tyger, Please help me keep from doing a Restore. My son just did a slide show of all important moments as a surprise for me. I do not have the heart to do a factory reinstall.
Do you mean, '''Windows Installer'' will REINSTALL itself?! (smiling hopefully it will )
If it has to be downloaded from windows update, well I have downloaded a program called, ''Total Uninstall 3.5'''. It also Installs and keeps track of every file for a clean UNinstall if needed.
I used it to try installing ' Windows Installer'' but no go.
Will you inform me what system files are needed for windows installer to work sucessfully.

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I must be missing something, because when I open interenet options---in control panel... I see tabs that says General-- in this window is where to set home page-----Temporary Internet bfiles---History.
When I right clicked on Internet Options, my options were to ''Open...or...crreate shortcut.
Theres has to be a way to bring back windows installer in even a working condition this time.
Warmly
Classy

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I just found the settings you meant. and also found "Update Class''...Deleting this will reinstall ''Windows Installer??? If so, you just made me so very happy!
Waiting to verify to delete, as I am unbelievably happy to be once again to download sucessfully, thanks to you.
Classy

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm thinking that thay may not be all of the installer package, but I don't know where the other parts may be. But it definitely is part of the update installer. I'm not on an XP machine now, but when I get there I will check things out and let you know if there is more to it, and where it is. In any case it is safe to delete most anything in that folder, but some of your applications need some of the things there.

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Good Morning Tyger,
I like the idea of simply deleting "Update Class'' and having this problem makking program (windows installer) easily reinstalled correctly...I hope.
If this doesn't work, I did a search and found this alternative..
HERE
I already checked my MIES UMMMM you know thje DLL file is still in windows/system32.

I forgot to tell you, microsoft office window kept popping up looking for a CD.

Im mentioning this because through my searching to repair installer, the Microsoft site reccommended
to install "Office install " any where from (SR -1)? I had no idea what the SR-1 stood for, but I thought you might understand or look it up.
Im sorry if im talking too much, I am happy I do not have to do a factory restore!
Thank you for your help.
Sleepless in NY,
Classy

Edited by Classy2, 27 November 2005 - 02:58 AM.

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
The start of Windows Installer not working was because of just located meaning n solution to (Error 1500, Another program is in progress )thus my download always failed because Money was the unseen program trying to download n update. click HERE Maybe Money was the problem all along; In addition, to Windows Installer was certainly installed in the wrong path.
I'll be happy to hear from you if I can reinstall Installer 3.1 by only deleting Update Class.
I know that works in device manager, where you can uninstall a program or driver to only have it reinstalled at the next boot up.
Warmly waiting,
Classy