Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help monitor display playing up

• Please log in to reply

steveba

steveba

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
my screen display goes up the left it will slow down or the graphic will start breaking up. eg the start menu all the graphic will disappear and reappear when the mouse pointer goes over them. ran spyware and anti virus and was thinking monitor or graphics card, graphic breakdown when playing games like command and conquer and the computer sorts itself out

Advertisements

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
You can try updating your video drivers.

Go to start, then right click on My Computer and go to Properties.

Click the Hardware tab.

Click the Device Manager button.

In Device Manager, look for a drop down list titled "Display Adapters".

Expand the list by clicking the little plus sign to the left, and select the video card that comes up.

On the top menu, select Action, then Update Driver.

A wizard will appear. Make sure that you have "Install the software automatically" selected, and click next.

The wizard will search for driver updates, and automatically install them if they are available. Hope this helps.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
while the above is sound advice, it depends on having new drivers on your system, or Microsoft having them on windows update, which I find to be more rare than not.

I would take a similar tact, plus one complementary action.

First, if you can, open your PC and clean the dust bunnies from your video card/fan.

Next, download the most current drivers from the manufacturer of your GPU.

Next clean your old drivers by uninstalling from Add/remove control panel applet, then use driver cleaner professional

http://www.drivercleaner.net/
(follow instructions there)

Then reboot and install the downloaded drivers